Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Help

Hey guys,

We're due to open in October and I thought I'd post my water report. It's obvisous to me it's not ideal for brewing. My chloride is a bit high, however it does fluctuate, a few months ago it was under 100ppm, a bit too much sodium for my liking so need to be careful with salts.

Can anyone suggest some treatment ideas? I don't have the space for RO system, I have a decent water filter but that's about it.

Cheers,
    Simon

ALKALINITY AS CACO3 54 Mg/L or ppm

FLUORIDE 0.65 Mg/L or ppm

IRON 0.02 Mg/L or ppm

NITRITE 0.00 Mg/L or ppm

NITRATE 0.23 Mg/L or ppm

MAGNESIUM 11 Mg/L or ppm

PH 7.67 pH units

SULFATE 60 Mg/L or ppm

CHLORIDE 110 Mg/L or ppm

CALCIUM 20 Mg/L or ppm

SODIUM 77 Mg/L or ppm

dude, you have super soft water, you dont need an RO system at all, in any way shape or form. My best advice is just buy the Water: A comprehensive guide and figure it out. literally all you have to do is make the necessary salt additions and you'll be good. hope this helps. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by fturw View Post
      dude, you have super soft water, you dont need an RO system at all, in any way shape or form. My best advice is just buy the Water: A comprehensive guide and figure it out. literally all you have to do is make the necessary salt additions and you'll be good. hope this helps. Cheers!
      Yes it did help. I've been contemplating buying that anyway so I'll just do it. I tend to over think these things, so being told to settle down is the kinda thing I need to hear!

Cheers!

Comment

Where I've run into issues in our area is adding Gypsum when we have some really heavy amounts of Sodium & Chloride coming down the pipe (180 & 300 respectively). When you're up at those levels and you start taking your sulfate up over 100, you can start to get more of a harsh minerally taste.

My approach professionally has been to add pickling lime and more acid to the mash to get my Ca above 50, but hit the right pHs too.

With your water I'd brew the first IPA with gypsum added and maybe keep the sulfates in the low 200's (and send the water to Ward or test with a water kit). You might be alright with those mineral levels. Regardless, I would encourage any new brewery to get RO. Flexibility and consistency for one of your core ingredients is underrated in my humble opinion.

If RO isn't feasible and you don't like the water profile on your IPAs, my next move would be the pickling lime route. Get your Ca up and tweak the hopping to work with what is coming down the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDogsGrant View Post
          Where I've run into issues in our area is adding Gypsum when we have some really heavy amounts of Sodium & Chloride coming down the pipe (180 & 300 respectively). When you're up at those levels and you start taking your sulfate up over 100, you can start to get more of a harsh minerally taste.

My approach professionally has been to add pickling lime and more acid to the mash to get my Ca above 50, but hit the right pHs too.

With your water I'd brew the first IPA with gypsum added and maybe keep the sulfates in the low 200's (and send the water to Ward or test with a water kit). You might be alright with those mineral levels. Regardless, I would encourage any new brewery to get RO. Flexibility and consistency for one of your core ingredients is underrated in my humble opinion.

If RO isn't feasible and you don't like the water profile on your IPAs, my next move would be the pickling lime route. Get your Ca up and tweak the hopping to work with what is coming down the pipe.
          This is great advice. Thanks heaps mate.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X