Best Way to add Dextrose to FV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way to add Dextrose to FV?

I've tried a few different methods for adding dextrose to FV for some higher ABV beers with staggered additions. Wondering how others do it since I haven't really found a 'good' way to do it. I've tried dumping through dry hop port, which usually makes a big mess of powder shooting everywhere (and carrying it up a ladder isn't fun). The way I've lately been doing it is to use a 15gal yeast brink keg to mix the dextrose and then pumping into the racking arm with co2. It works, but takes a while to do 100# as I have to do it in quite a few batches. Was hoping there was an easier/better way to do it.

Unless you're going for above 15% abv or so, we've had better luck pouring it into the kettle. It will dissolve better than being poured into a FV. If you're worried about caramelization, add it later to the boil. Make sure you pour it in slowly, or else it could clump up and end up with scorched patches of sugar on the bottom and walls of your kettle. If putting in into the kettle isn't an option, look for dextrose syrup.

Comment

I agree. Also, dextrose isn't sterile. I'd be worried about possible contamination if it wasn't boiled. Unless you dissolve and filter the solution @ .2 microns beforehand. Just a thought... We've always added late in the boil. Just our SOP's. It's just so much easier.

Comment

If you have to add it during Ferment Boiling a sugar slurry in a Homebrew pot, putting it in your yeast brink and pushing it over after cooling is going to be the easiest way most likely.

Otherwise adding in the kettle like others have said works good, I'm assuming your adding in the FV to help attenuation. If you add dex to the kettle maybe it would benefit and be a compromise to oxygenate 8-10 hours after pitching instead of adding to FV. We've done this with great success

Comment

Have you thought about dissolving the sugar source in 180F water via your kettle and then proceeding with a "KO" of the sugar water at fermentation temperature? It doesn't take too much water to dissolve 100lbs of dextrose. Provided that you make this addition early enough in the fermentation process, (just after yeast hits high krausen) you shouldn't have any dissolved oxygen issues.

Comment

Working...
          X