Another water question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another water question

Ben using this at home and mostly just adding a little CaCl, and Gypsum for the hoppy beers, stiil just a small amount. I've put the water report info. into Brew-n water and it shows many extra additions for my profile, when I've gone that route the beer suffers, I may be doing something wrong.

Here is my Ward water report: I sent in the sample, after running through my charcoal filter.

PH - 7.7
    Total disolved solids - 362

Sodium - 70 ppm
    Potassium - 3 ppm
    Calcium - 27 ppm
    Magnesium - 14 ppm
    Total Hardness, CaCO3 - 126 ppm
    Nitrate - .6
    Sulfate - 32 ppm
    Chloride - 98 ppm
    Carbonate - <1.0
    Bicabonate - 40 ppm
    Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 33 ppm
    Total phosphorus - .58
    Total Iron - .02

Anything outta line?

Other than the obvious, which is you need to add more Calcium every brew, it doesn't look terrible.

That Sodium & Chloride level could be a little on the high end for hoppy/drier beers and you may want to be careful about taking your sulfates over 100.

My local water can be even higher on the Sodium & Chloride (eg 180 and 300 respectively), so I've actually gone towards adding pickling lime to get my calcium up and shied away from adding more flavor ions. That does mean the mash needs more acid to balance out the pH increase though.

With your water, assuming it's consistent, I would cut it 50-50 with RO for IPAs and then add gypsum to get Ca up and take sulfates to 200-300.

Comment

Working...
    X