Steam and Firebox Stacks Through Attic Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam and Firebox Stacks Through Attic Space

Has anyone routed their steam and/or firebox stacks through an attic space and then through the roof? I assume the assembly is the same for both stacks regardless of stack material. Did you use a kit similar to what is used for chimney pipe? They typically include a fire stop support at the ceiling, then attic insulation shield, then flashing, storm collar, cap, etc. For posterity sake, I'm using single wall stainless for the steam stack and Type B galvanized for the firebox stack. Thanks!

Yes, similar to chimney for the flue. The steam vent probably doesn't need to be 2x wall because the max temp will be 212, it might just need 2 inch clearance to combustibles.

Rich DeLano
    rich@thebrewinglair.com

Comment

I would check and make sure your boiler/fire box has a low enough exhaust temp. Many direct fired systems go well above the temperature ratings of B vent.

Comment

Thanks Rich!

Good point jebzter. A single wall pipe from the fire box to barometric damper to the ceiling support (and subsequently the insulated chimney pipe) would be required though, correct? It's not possible to 90* off of a firebox with Type A or other multi-wall insulated pipe. If that's the case, single wall stainless from the firebox or some custom type pipe?

Comment

If it is a forced air burner, a barometric damper usually is not needed. You can use double wall for most of it, there are restrictions on total amount of turns in the system, support is definitely required if there are any bends. The big thing to look at is how much heat comes out of the unit. B-vent is limited because the inner liner is aluminum, it is meant for anything low enough that moisture could condense. The best thing is to look up the local plumbing and mechanical codes for your municipality. Different areas have different rules on how much unprotected single wall pipe is allowed. For your steam vent, you definitely don't need double wall or any fire-stops, just keep the insulation clear, I don't recommend any galvanized stuff though, it will drip back and stain your kettle when it comes out of the condensation trap or worse get back into the beer. I used stainless chimney liner, pretty inexpensive, easy to use, looks pretty good too. Just need to put some silicone in the joints or they will leak condensation visibly.

Comment

I think you can get help from some professionals, as they posses appropriate knowledge and have many proper expertise. There are chimney company in Nassau county, which offers various services. You can read about them over the web.

Comment

Working...
            X