Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peculiar taste

Here's one for ya...
    Just brewed my Oktoberfest Sticke. 2 weeks into lagering, I noticed a subtle "cheesy" flavor (I really had to slurp and sniff to get it, but it was there). I did dry hop with some Tettnangs. They were healthy hops, though. I understand that some hops tend to taste a bit "cheesy," but I never experienced that with Tetts. My only concern is that it may have picked up an infection. I sanitized 2 airtight containers, and took a samples. I warmed up the sample to 75 degrees, and 3 days later, nothing funky growing in there, and the taste is the same. It hasn't seemed to get any worse, or better. I used Dusseldorf alt yeast from WL.. It has been an estery beer from the get-go (I started in an open flat bottomed fermentor), and hasn't mellowed out much yet. I had plans to fiter this beer, and keg it. If it did pick something up, I don't want to infect my filter, it's hard enough to clean as it is. I suppose my question is, does anybody know what this flavor may be attributed to, and if it's not an infection of sorts, what is it, and will a lengthy lagering help it to some degree?

Butyric acid

Maybe you have butyric acid problems....was your beer was in contact with old spent grains?

Comment

The cheesy smell is usually from old, stale hops. I don't think any hops should have a cheesy charateristic to them.
      Scott Isham
      Harper's Brewpub

Comment

Working...
      X