Thread: Oxygenating Wort

Oxygenating Wort

I am currently using oxygen in a tank, however I heard of others using air compressors to simply blow air into the wort. Can anybody tell me more about this and if there are any downfalls???

Well, unless you get a compressor that does NOT use an oil lubricated piston, and you include a sterile filter in line, you're asking for a disaster IMHO. Stick with the tanks.
    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Wort Aeration

I'll more or less second that, I have used both, it can be done and is more of an "old school" way of doing it......search the archives on this site, I believe it has been addressed recently. Unless you are already set up for it and don't know it, the O2 tanks will probably be the cheaper way to go.

Measuring Oxygen

I'm looking for a rule of thumb to use for setting PSI on the regulator when oxygentaing with O2. We usually take between 45 minutes to 1 hour for KO of a 10 bbl batch. We have an inline carb stone with site glass. Any recomendations for the pressure setting that would assure I don't overoxygenate?

Thx.

David

David
    I have a similar set up to you , 10 hl with in-line stone and sight glass. I use a medical air mix (20% O2) instead of oxygen. Here in switzerland the cost is about the same but the air is guaranteed contaminant free. I apply a low pressure on the manometer. My heat exchanger has a low pressure drop so I can use around 0.5 bar. I can see thro the sight glass that fine bubbles are rising from the stone, no large bubbles are building. This has worked well, I tend to underpitch my wort but the fermentation starts well , so I am assuming that the wort is sufficiently aerated. With the air mix there is presumably no danger of over oxygenation. At the same time I don't have too much trouble with foam in the fermenter (around 20% headspace).
    Hope to been of some help.

I just aerated a batch of stout - 55gallons, and I have been using a tank of 100% o2. My main practice is about 20 seconds thru a carb stone used to carbonate kegs. While "multi-tasking" I spaced it and came back 5 min later with a huge mess to clean up. Did I just make lots of yeast and no alcohol? as I have heard? - weird/no esters? - ... or .. relax don't worry, wait it out.
    yeast was us56/05

thoughts/advice?