Crystal Malt Varieties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crystal Malt Varieties

I'm curious as to the number of varieties of Crystal Malt my fellow brewers keep around. At the last brewpub I worked at, I inherited recipes with C-10, C-55, and C-155. At the brewpub I'm at now I've inherited recipes with C-10, C-40, C-60, and C-120. Obviously, I play with other items as time/space permits, but I've gotten in a habit at both places of creating recipes using only the Crystal Malts I have on hand (plus a lot of experimentation with every other kind of grain under the sun). I don't know why this is, really, but it seems like a lot of stuff to keep around, especially with my fairly tight brewing schedule these days.

So, how many types of Crystal Malt are people keeping around? Do you find a big enough difference to keep similar varieties like a C-40 and a C-60 around full time?

Too Many

Let's see: C-10, C-40, C-60, C-65, C-75, C-85, C-120... Plus CaraMunich 40 and 60, DRC, Carastan and a couple others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Slight variations in color don't tell the whole story. There are significant flavor differences as well. To me American C-60 is as out of place in an ESB as British C-65 would be in a West Coast IPA.

Comment

Best Malz

Best Malz "Red-X" is a good sub for C-40, 60. And can be used up to 100% of grist bill for a very nice red. If you want some sweetness and body, Carapils rounds out a more heavy offering.

Good luck.
      Send some samples.

Lance
      Rebel Malting
      Reno, Nevada USA
      ljergensen@rebelmalting.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_FSBC View Post
        Let's see: C-10, C-40, C-60, C-65, C-75, C-85, C-120... Plus CaraMunich 40 and 60, DRC, Carastan and a couple others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Slight variations in color don't tell the whole story. There are significant flavor differences as well. To me American C-60 is as out of place in an ESB as British C-65 would be in a West Coast IPA.
        i have to comment, there are brewers on the west coast that would argue any crystal malt is out of style for a west coast IPA, but I totally agree with the basis of what you are saying.

To answer the OP: we carry c-15 (caramalt), honey malt, English c-60, English c-120, Belgian Sp. B, and DRC.
        I guess I've never felt a need for ~40 L crystal, but honestly don't know what I'm missing as I've never really used c40.

Comment

Working...
        X