whirlfloc b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whirlfloc b

Does anyone have any experience using a refined irish moss product called Whirlfloc-B? The boss just bought some and said 'figure it out'. So far I've used it in a few brews with no big differences noticed from regular irish moss. Plus I've had trouble getting the stuff thoroughly mixed in water. it tends to clump together and is hard to scrap off the sides of the pitcher.

any suggestions? am I doing it wrong?

cheers,
    bEN

Whirlfloc usage

Ben,

While I haven't used Whirlfloc in particular, I use Super Moss from 5 Star. They are essentially the same thing. I find that I actually get a much tighter trub pile with this product than I do with Irish Moss!

As to usage, you are right that it is tough stuff to get into solution. The 5 Star folks recommend filling a small jar half way with water, adding the Super Moss to that, tightly capping, then shaking for 30 seconds. Let it sit for a at least 15 minutes, and shake gently once more just before pouring into the kettle. This works really well for me.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Mike
    Michael Labbe
    Brewery Engineer / Director of Operations
    Lord Hobo Brewing Company
    5 Draper Street
    Woburn, MA 01801

Comment

whirlfloc-b

thanks a lot for the post Mike. I'll definitely give that a try. It seems like letting it sit for awhile probably helps alot too.

cheers,
      Ben
      Last edited by Ben; 09-14-2006, 07:52 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

whirlfloc T

We use whirlfloc T [tablets]. there is no need to mix a powder with water - we just toss the tablets [approx. 30, or a fifth of a pound per 7bbl] into the last ten minutes of the boil. works wonderfully.
        if the powder is problematic, check out the tablets.

shaun e.

Comment

whirlfloc G

We use whirlfloc G in our 50 bbl brewhouse. Simply mix 4 grams/bbl with warm water, stir, and add 20 minutes before the end of the boil. I have had excellent results with it.

James Murray
          Brewer
          San Diego, CA

Comment

whirlfloc b

I didn't know there were so many whirlfloc products. are there more? is 'G' similar to 'B'? I've also seen whirlfloc 'bws'?

I'll keep trying,
            ben

Comment

form, not substance

Last I heard, whirfloc comes in three different forms.
              "G" is granulated for easy mixing in a small container with a small amount of liquid prior to tossing it in the kettle. "T" is in tablet form, one tablet for each five US gallons. Just count up and toss 'em in the boil. I can't remember why the powdered form is called "B" and I also don't know the best way to utilize it. If your boil volume is greater than just a few bbls, I'd use the granulated. Powdered sounds like trouble.

Steffan
              Aldergrove Brewery

Comment

I have used both the "B" and "G". I got similar results with both. I prefer to use the G, it is easier to measure and I really don't think you need to hydrate it. Also because it is granular you don't have to worry about it your stack fan sucking it up.
                Chris Brugger
                Brewer
                Otto's Pub and Brewery
                814-867-OTTO

Comment

thanks everyone for the advice. it's too late to return it now, but would definitely go with the whirlfloc G. the B is difficult to mix together and messy.

ben

Comment

Hey Ben,

the g is waaaaayyy cheaper. If you are really interested in getting benifit from any of these products run some optimization tests. Add differing amounts to small quantities of the same wort and look at the break. more isn't always better and a little testing can make a huge difference. The quantity used will also vary from beer to beer so be aware of that.

'sup Brugger...you coming to the Grey Lodge on Friday for the Firkinteenth? Chris has your tent cleaned and ready to go. Firkins Hooooo!
                    Larry Horwitz

Comment

I use the super Moss hb. All I can find is homebrewer recommendations for dosage. Any links or thoughts welcome.

Sent from my SM-A500M using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X