Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting with county tomorrow to discuss starting a nano brewery

Hi all,
    As the title implies I have a meeting tomorrow with the head of tourism and economic development and the head of the planning division in my county (haldimand county Ontario) to discuss building and opening a nano brewery on my property. As far as I can find out I would be the first craft brewery within the county, which could be a huge selling factor when looking for capital.

The Plan: The plan is to build a small brewery (less than or equal to 3.5bbm) and taproom on my property and eventually build up and expand to a secondary location (10+ bbm) while keeping this first one as a small batch and test brew facility in time. My property is a 2.1 acre property so space is not an issue, however the biggest issue I feel I face is a lack of municipal water supply. There are ways to deal with this but I don't know if its worth it or if I should just look at other possible venues.

This whole idea is in the initial phases, by that I mean I have an idea on paper, a name and possible logo and that's it. I will be starting to develop a business plan as soon as I feel I've gathered all the necessary information.

Anyways any input from you guys and gals out there as to questions I should be asking them (ie. zoning, health code, business grants and developments etc.) would be greatly appreciated and extremely helpful.

If you don't have Municipal water, I presume you don't have a wastewater connection either, so a big potential issue in addition to the water supply is where you're going to send it when you're done using it. You'll want their input, I suppose, but they probably don't know much about the special needs of a brewery.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

Had the meeting with the county today! Things went extremely well. It is confirmed I will be the first brewery operating within my county and have their full support and resources!

Also they put me in touch with a cidery that operates just 5 km away from me on the other side of the mighty grand river, ontario, canada lol yes I'm a cunuck.

(Insert hoser pun here.lol)

So after my meeting I call my new contact up and we had a long conversation about how he's got his cidery profitable and has been pondering the idea of a brewery. Has some spare equipment, experience and capital and has been looking for partners. Funny thing is he knows the planning people I talked to and one of his good friends is an avid homebrewer who also works for the county in the planning department.

I think between talking to the county and my contact in the cidery it's agreed that it would be best to open up in one of the major towns in the county.

So I will keep this thread updated and let you all know how things progress! Cheers!

Comment

Working...
      X