Which micron sizes....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which micron sizes....?

Hi guys, maybe anybody could give me a hint?

We need two types of filters:

1. Filtering our keg beer: Our keg beer will be consumed very rapidly, that means microbiological STABILITY is not the point. But we use some yeasts strains which do NOT sediment well (for example wheat beer). So this beers are YEAST hazy and YEAST cloudy. SM 3.0 (Micron 3-4) would be sufficient to filter THE YEAST out of this beers?

2. Filtering our bottle beer: Our bottle beer would need more filtration power. Microbiological stability would be nice, but it depends on the "price". We would not like to lose too much flavor or bitterness. Do you think a double filtration Micron 3-4 > Micron 1 would be a good solution? We work very clean and up until now, thanks God, havent had any problems with contaminations.

My doubts are a) will 3-4 micron sufficient to filter out all the yeasts out of the keg beer? And b) 1 micron would be good for bottled beer, or should we use 0,45 micron?

Or maybe you could propose me anything better?

Thanks a lot for any help :-)

Greetings

Flo

I suggest a 10 micron filter first, which will remove the larger lumps of debris and some of the yeast, and help prevent blinding the finer cartridges. You will probably get small amounts of yeast passing through the 4 micron filters, but these will blind less quickly than a 1 micron. The 1 micron will remove all the yeast and a fair number of bacteria if they are present. However, painful though it might be, I would protect the 1 micron unit with a 5 micron unit, so you end up with 3 stage filtration for long life of the individual cartridges - 10, followed by 5, followed by 1 micron. The 0.45 is really only required to be able to achieve commercial sterility, suitable for beers and ciders, though unless you have a completely sealed sterilisable system, even a 0.45 micron system will not guarantee commercial sterility. If you are talking absolute sterility, e.g. pharmaceutical standards, then you would have to go finer still, but this is not generally considered essential for beer / cider.

I would try sticking to 3-4 micron finest for your keg beers, bottle sufficient of that to be able to determine shelf life in bottle, and do forcing tests to get the results fairly quickly. Then you can see if you need to go finer.
    dick

Comment

Thank you Dick!

Comment

Working...
      X