CA Self Distribution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Self Distribution?

Does CA have any lame laws that would prohibit the craft brewer from selling directly in their local market? Also, what does the average restaurant/bar pay for a keg (1/2 bbl) of fresh, great tasting, local-brewed craft beer?

Help with California brewerys

Hi Dave

From your postings it seems that you are interested in producing beer in California for distribution. I would be glad to speak with you about helping out on your project. I have a diploma in brewing and Engineering degree. I have also worked in just about every capacity in breweries (over a 13 year period of time).

Graydon Brown
    graydonb@sbcglobal.net

Comment

No CA does allow for self distribution with a Type 23 license that accompanies your federal and state license to opperate a brewery.
      Where are you located in California? We are in the High Desert and sell to local on-premis accounts in a 50 liter/13gal keg, price is $90.00 plus $25.00 shell deposit. Make sure you have a copy of the license with you as you go out and sell, many stores we visited were concerned with legalities of us self distributing, and not going through one of the main distribution houses. I think it was one of those subtle strong arm tactics employed especially if you offer a quality product and gain a loyal following that starts to take over some of their tap handles.
      Good Luck
      Lance

Comment

Great information, thanks. I'm in the Bay Area and working on some ideas for a niche craft beer.

Comment

Although it is legal to self distribute, will major retailers purchase directly from the brewery? or will only local stores and bars purchase diresctly from you? Also, where would I find some documents that confirm the legality of self distrubting?

thanks!

Comment

Distributor in San Diego

You can also check Brew Distributing (www.brewdistributing.com) in San Diego is a small distributor that is helping the new Mexican microbrews enter the US market. They are also starting to work with local San Diego microbrews. They are small but could be a good starting point for a small microbrew or import trying to enter the difficult San Diego market.

Comment

I am one of the self-distributed daft beers you must see in the bay area (I hope you see it and maybe try it!). Not a big deal, no one has ever cared about legalities, they just want to know how much service you can give compared to the big distributors.
              Be careful what you wish for...

Comment

Great subject, wondering why more craft brewers dont self distribute. Good luck with this. Would be interested in the legalities of self distribution in OH and Ky if anyone has any experience.

Comment

"wondering why more craft brewers dont self distribute. Good luck with this."
                  'Cause it's a lot of work and not necessarily cost effective. Consider $/hour value of producing beer vs. $/hour value of sitting in traffic on the Bay Bridge when the Giants are playing the A's.

Comment

My opinion

My opinion is that most craft brewers are just that - brewers. It is certainly true that it takes a while to get to productivity per hour, but without the sales, the brewer has little to do.

It is much easier to empower someone else with the sales side of things, but I believe that you also lose a certain amount of control of your brand - at least in your local market.

Comment

Working...
                    X