Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filling kegs with 5way manifold (advice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling kegs with 5way manifold (advice)

Hey All,

So I am starting to get together our keg transferring equipment and was wondering if any has advice on going with a 5 head manifold. Currently I am looking at using this manifold http://www.gwkent.com/manifold-5port.html with this beer nut to TC fitting http://www.gwkent.com/beer-nut-female.html with the SS valves. Now my real question is what is the ideal tube ID and length to use to cut down on waste and have optimal transfer speed. i plan on using the FOB from GWkent on standard couplers I have in house. I also plan on only using 4 of the ports for the time being and maybe adding more if necessary.

Any advice would be great.

Sean
    Cheers,

Sean Goddard
    Brewmaster
    Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

I use 10' of 1/2" braided hose with 1/2" beer nut barb to the sanke fill head and a 1.5 TC to 1/2" hose barb to the manifold. Manifold is 1.5" TC with an extra T on the end for 6 fill heads. No problems using the old style sanke fill heads. Jury is still out on the new style.
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Do you have any issues with foam with that ID of tube? I was thinking of going to 1/2" as well but was worried there wasn't enough restriction to keep CO2 from coming out of solution.
      Cheers,

Sean Goddard
      Brewmaster
      Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

Comment

Originally posted by WWSean View Post
        Do you have any issues with foam with that ID of tube? I was thinking of going to 1/2" as well but was worried there wasn't enough restriction to keep CO2 from coming out of solution.
        My science may not be up to par, but ID of tubing shouldn't make a difference with c02 coming out of solution if you are counter pressure filling. It should only affect speed of filling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a greta and simple approach

Don't worry about gas breakout- you just need to maintain adequate head pressure.

I would go with 3/8" clear vinyl tubing and TC hose barbs. The beer nut and tailpiece build is just more places for stuff to hide and you to disassemble. 3/8" is more than adequate for filling kegs and the clear line will show wear and tear so you can decide when to replace it.

Also, try to hang the lines in a straight line vertically to let them dry in between uses or they'll cloud up- although this is dependent on what CIP regimen and chemicals you're using.

Comment

Working...
          X