Thread: Clog issues

Clog issues

Anyone have a solution to this problem...

We are a non-filtering brewery. We dont use a bright tank either. We manually fill our kegs thru the uni-tank racking arm and use a sight glass with a 10 mesh sock to help reduce hop particulate. However, approximately 10-20% of our kegs will end up with a clogged gas chamber when it comes time to run them on the keg washer.

Does anyone have a solution to this issue? Other than pulling all the spears and pre-rinsing the kegs.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Are you able to cold crash and do your fv have racking arms? If you can't do either, then I think your kegs will continue to get plugged up. We do not filter, but do use brite tanks. Never have we ever clogged a keg with particulate, we are able to get our beers very brite prior to filling.

This happens on the first keg or two from each batch for me too. I have started relieving pressure from the empty keg, opening her up, and giving it a quick rinse before putting it on the keg washer. Otherwise I end up wasting half a tank of detergent from the keg washers reservoir.

Rich DeLano
    rich@thebrewinglair.com