Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pall Lenticular problems

Hi all,

We've been using a Pall Supradisc2 4x16 with k700 modules for a year with great success. 50 barrel batches.

We centrifuge, then send beer to the filter. Goes in a little hazy, comes out brilliant. Until recently.

We got a new batch of 700s and on the second run they barely pulled any haze out. Per Pall, were replaced them with tighter modules (K300) at $400 each.

First run on K300 showed very little haze reduction also. Called our sales guy and he recommended changing the gasket set in the housing. The current gaskets look fine, but we agreed to try it.

We ordered a new kit, just two little o-rings, a flat silicon gasket about two inches in diameter, and a little PTFE seat.

Here's the kicker: $350 AND EIGHT WEEKS OUT! WTF?

Does anyone have an alternate source for these or a recommendation on making them ourselves?

Pulling my hair out and looking at hazy beer while I do it.
    Mike Elliott
    Head Brewer
    Philipsburg Brewing Co.
    Montana

We don't have a centrifuge, but we are using the same filter unit with k700 modules. is the haze carrying over into the final product? I have noticed on occasion, I get slightly hazy/cloudy beer in the output sight glass. I pulled a sample and warmed it up and the haze disappeared. So, I chalked it up to protein/chill haze. The weird thing is that it doesn't show in the final product (cans or kegs). Maybe something to check. Perhaps its a change in water chemistry that wasn't anticipated. doesn't sound like that's the case but thought I'd mention it.

As far as sourcing them from somewhere else - have you tried mcmaster carr?

Just curious, how many barrels are you able to send through a filter set before replacing?

Comment

Originally posted by rohrbergt View Post
      We don't have a centrifuge, but we are using the same filter unit with k700 modules. is the haze carrying over into the final product? I have noticed on occasion, I get slightly hazy/cloudy beer in the output sight glass. I pulled a sample and warmed it up and the haze disappeared. So, I chalked it up to protein/chill haze. The weird thing is that it doesn't show in the final product (cans or kegs). Maybe something to check. Perhaps its a change in water chemistry that wasn't anticipated. doesn't sound like that's the case but thought I'd mention it.

As far as sourcing them from somewhere else - have you tried mcmaster carr?

Just curious, how many barrels are you able to send through a filter set before replacing?

We got some silicone sheet from Grainger and cut gaskets ourselves. Approx. 1000 bbls per set before they start to break down.
      Mike Elliott
      Head Brewer
      Philipsburg Brewing Co.
      Montana

Comment

Working...
      X