KMS Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KMS Alternative

I have recently joined a brewery associated with a winery. As such, we have gone with lenticular filters as opposed to DE. Sanitizing and storage is definitely a problem.

The winery has traditionally used KMS, potassium metabisulfite as a storage medium. Winery standards and brewery standards are not the same. Sulphur and sulphites are used throughout the winery and I want sulphites no where near my beer.

The big problem is the noxious odors associated with mixing it and dosing it and also the odors that occur when dumping and flushing it. We use only 1/4 of the recommended dose for winery application and yet, this stuff can clear the building when you're working with it.

I checked with Scott Labs and their only recommendation is KMS. This cant be the only sanitizer out there that wont harm the lenticular filter cells. Has anyone out there using lenticular used any alternative. Any results?

Thanks
    Rob Creighton
    Brewer

One suggestion

I can't say for sure that it will work with any particular brand filter, but in general I find that chlorine dioxide is about the best sanitizer out there. Used in very small doses, we pack our DE filter with it for storage. Very happy with results for rinsing cans as well. Quite cost effective and safe to use. Ethanol at 85% for spray bottles, iodophor for parts buckets and chlorine dioxide for tank, filter, and heat exchanger sanitizing. That's the best practice I've found.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
    X