Glycol Chiller Sizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Chiller Sizing?

I will be needing a glycol chiller for a 7bbl brite beer tank and want to know what the correct size chiller is. Is there a standard equation to figure this out.

Contact the folks at Pro Refrigeration, http://www.prorefrigeration.com/redesign.html. They can tell you everything you need to know about chilling.
    Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Brite Tank Cooling Load

There are a few factors needed to calculate this load, such as the storage room temperature and the beer holding temperature.

Is this the only load you will be requiring a chiller system for, the duty should be very small.

Please call me when convenient, we would be happy to calculate this up for you.

Thanks,

Jim
      Pro Refrigeration Inc
      800-845-7781 ext 203

Comment

Open calculation

Hi Jim,

Could you post your calculations here on the thread. There is a lot of interest for "cooling volumes" and I am sure there are a lot of people out there like me who would like to learn the basics of it.

I hope you don't mind.

Thanks

BelgianBrewer
        Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-05-2008, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Understanding refridgeration thread

I found this thread in May while researching a new chiller:

I ultimately purchased a 35 HP unit from ProBrewer sponsor Pro refridgeration. Give Jim a call.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

load calculations

Originally posted by BelgianBrewer
            Hi Jim,

Could you post your calculations here on the thread. There is a lot of interest for "cooling volumes" and I am sure there are a lot of people out there like me who would like to learn the basics of it.

I hope you don't mind.

Thanks
            We will be more than happy to provide a complete brewery load estimate- at no cost. These provide a breakdown of each cooling load, with a total BTU/HR estimated system load. The program factors in over 40 different variables and formulas including some of the following....

For PULL DOWN LOADS (can be used for Fermenter Pull Down or Cold Liquor calculation)

Total pounds of product you are cooling in an hour, multiplied by the degrees temperature (F) that you are cooling.

Example:

7 Bbls = 217 Gallons = approx. 1900 lbs

1900 lbs X cooling 42 F (75F to 33F) = 79,800 BTU

79,800 BTU / 6 hours = 13,300 BTU/HR

For ACTIVE FERMENTATION

Total Barrels in Active Fermentation X 15 Bricks per BBL X 280 BTU per Brick / length of active fermentation. We use a default of 72 hours, understanding that many beers will ferment longer, but a majority of the heat gain is going occur in that first 72 hour period.

Example:

300 Bbls X 15 Bricks = 4500

4500 X 280 BTU/Brick = 1260000

1260000 / 72 HR = 17,500 BTU/HR

Some people specify and size chiller systems simply based on the annual brewery production, and they might be right. Our approach is to size for a “real” load condition. We take a snapshot of that facility during a normal, to high, load condition. Adding up the estimated cooling requirements based on what state each vessel is in. We then factor for heat/cooling loss due to room temperatures, line loss, insulation, pumps motors, etc. etc. This is also used to estimate the glycol flow requirements for each brewery.

Please contact me directly if you would like us to provide a load estimate. I can send over a survey to complete- or you can call and we can fill out over the phone.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck,

Jim
            jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com
            Pro Refrigeration Inc.
            800-845-7781 ext 203

Comment

Working...
            X