Food in the Taproom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food in the Taproom

We are about to start construction on a brewery with taproom in Colorado. I'm trying to figure out what the regulations are on food served in the taproom without running afoul of the local health board. Does anybody know what can be offered? Can it only be things like popcorn, nuts, etc? Can we also offer pre-packaged foods? What about cheeses and cured meats? Any ideas where I can find this information without reading through 500 pages of city code?

We do not have a brewpub license and just want to offer something to augment any food trucks we may have outside.

Thanks!
    Andy

Just contact your local health board. It varies in every city/County. You're going to have to get in touch with them at some point anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Troy Robinson
    Quirk Brewing
    Walla Walla

Comment

Originally posted by LFBC_Andy View Post
      We are about to start construction on a brewery with taproom in Colorado. I'm trying to figure out what the regulations are on food served in the taproom without running afoul of the local health board. Does anybody know what can be offered? Can it only be things like popcorn, nuts, etc? Can we also offer pre-packaged foods? What about cheeses and cured meats? Any ideas where I can find this information without reading through 500 pages of city code?

We do not have a brewpub license and just want to offer something to augment any food trucks we may have outside.

Thanks!
      Andy
      Agreed, call El Paso County Health. If you're serving any food at all, you'll need to be inspected, they have a packet you can download on their site. FWIW, I think it's only the county on that t front. Plenty of city stiff, but not related to food. You have my info, or DM here if you have more questions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeffzearfoss View Post
        Agreed, call El Paso County Health. If you're serving any food at all, you'll need to be inspected, they have a packet you can download on their site. FWIW, I think it's only the county on that t front. Plenty of city stiff, but not related to food. You have my info, or DM here if you have more questions.

Thank you both for the advice.

I was thinking more along the lines of where the cutoff is for the health board being involved . Most non-pub breweries have popcorn machines or something similar and I assume the health board isn't involved with that. But what's the threshold for when they might care? Are the snack foods just a grey area that we don't talk about?

Jeff - I don't know why I didn't think to just email you or one of the other awesome breweries here from the start. I guess I was tired of just being a passive probrewer reader like I have been for the last couple years. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

I think if you're washing glassware, they already need to be involved. You could check with one of the other guys in town who don't do food to see if they needed to get EPC Health involved, but honestly, I'd just call the county directly. They are very nice, professional, and helpful (we operate two licensed kitchens for other purposes, and also had some good conversations when we were looking at our older location that fell through). Besides, it sucks if you get an answer from an operator and their policies have been adjusted since then.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffzearfoss View Post
            I think if you're washing glassware, they already need to be involved. You could check with one of the other guys in town who don't do food to see if they needed to get EPC Health involved, but honestly, I'd just call the county directly. They are very nice, professional, and helpful (we operate two licensed kitchens for other purposes, and also had some good conversations when we were looking at our older location that fell through). Besides, it sucks if you get an answer from an operator and their policies have been adjusted since then.

Thanks, Jeff. We'll definitely contact them, I was just hoping to get a quick dirty answer. You're absolutely right that I should get it straight from them though as rules may have changed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X