Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how big should my glycol header be?

Howdy,
    We have a 1.5 hp chiller and four 7 bbl tanks. I'm planning on using 3/4" for the drops to the tanks, but what diameter pipe should we use for the main line? The run will be about 45' from the chiller to the furthest tank.
    Also, every brewery I've been with uses PVC, but I'm seeing a lot of chatter about cool fit plus ABS--it's very attractive! Who's the suppler in the US for it, and any idea what the price per foot is?
    Thanks!

We have a 3hp Chillstar from Pro Refrigeration (1.5hp pump) and our mains are 1.5" sch80 PVC supplying 6 FVs -- 4 @7bbl, and 2@15bbl. The furthest run for us is also around 50'. 3/4" pex drops. No problems with chilling.

I went with PVC over the CooltFit based on so many others using it without problems and our install guy having done so many installs with it. He convinced me it would work just fine and last, etc. Oh, and there was the cost...

Dave
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Comment

Thanks!
      Any idea on the cost of the cool fit? I also have used PVC for the last 12 years with only one problem (snapped a line with a mild blow from a sliding piece of equipment--it does get brittle when it's that cold).

Comment

Check this out.

Bottom of the page has tutorial on sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd love to see a tutorial on all this! But can you repost the link--it isn't working.

Comment

Try this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by fjbrewer View Post
                Thanks!
                Any idea on the cost of the cool fit? I also have used PVC for the last 12 years with only one problem (snapped a line with a mild blow from a sliding piece of equipment--it does get brittle when it's that cold).
                For my 6 10bbl tanks, relatively short header run (about 200' total length) plus another 100' worth of drops to tanks it was 16 thousand for materials only. That does include all the valves and fittings etc.

Comment

Working...
                X