Filtering under pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering under pressure

I am new to filtering. In our current set up, we filter then carbonate in BBT. The pre filtered beer would have not been under pressure and only have residual CO2. I would like to add a little more top pressure to the beer and am wondering will this effect the filtering process.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewberosa View Post
      I am new to filtering. In our current set up, we filter then carbonate in BBT. The pre filtered beer would have not been under pressure and only have residual CO2. I would like to add a little more top pressure to the beer and am wondering will this effect the filtering process.
      What type of filter are you using: plate and frame, DE, old sock?
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing View Post
        What type of filter are you using: plate and frame, DE, old sock?
        Plate.

Why? What are the differences?

Comment

Originally posted by Brewberosa View Post
          Plate.

Why? What are the differences?
          Each type of filtering has different requirements regarding procedures, needed equipment, and incantations to the various filtering gods and goddesses.
          The pressure I'm using with my plate and frame is relatively low compared to what I've seen utilized with a DE/slurry filter.

Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Hey Dave,
            How tight are you filtering with your Plate and Frame? Have you ever used a sock filter?
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou View Post
              Hey Dave,
              How tight are you filtering with your Plate and Frame? Have you ever used a sock filter?
              Joel,
              I am using a filter pad grade of SG 7.0 for "polishing" of the beer. This will catch particles in the 5-7 micron range but will not provide any sterilization of the product: packaged products still will need constant refrigeration.
              No, I have not used a sock filter but I have had very good results with the procedure of allowing the attenuated beer to sit around 32°F for several days before I attempt to filter with my plate and frame. Funny inversely proportionate relationship I've observed: the longer the beer sits in the fermenter cold, the shorter the filter time takes.
              My two cents as your mileage may vary.

Prost!
              Dave
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
              X