Clarifying problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarifying problem

Hoping for suggestions here. I have 6 bbls of a blonde in my brite tank that has bad haze. Malt bill has 2 row and 24% pilsner. Last batch of this ran through with no issue, but this one is giving me fits. I used Biofine inline transfer to brite, but at first only used about 3 oz. Nothing cleared and I realized the amount was not nearly enough, so I pulled a corney out with 6 more oz and pushed back through (using sample valve and wort). Still no improvement, so I repeated procedure yesterday with 8 oz more and turned up co2 from bottom stone to try and mix a bit. This morning, still nothing. I do have an open fermenter (for today), so I'm thinking of transferring it back while adding even more biofine, and then back to brite so I can use fermenter tomorrow. Note, I did have a little trouble with mash tun temp probe that brew day, but was checking manually. Still, mash temps not optimal for entire time.

Unfortunately you may have taken a step backwards with the clarification by rousing the sediment and beer with the additional biofine doses. In our experience biofine likes to drop clear once. After that it tends to create fluffy bottoms or become inconsistent. At this point you may be relegated to cold and time to let it drop brite. I would hesitate to rouse it any more unless you have another tank you can transfer it into and add more biofine inline while leaving behind anything that has flocced out in the first tank.

Cheers,
    Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom,
      Never thought of that. Now I'm wishing I had a stand pipe in my brite.

Comment

Yeah, we ended up adding stand pipes to our brite tanks and haven't regretted it a bit. You get a bit of a product loss but we are able to keg off brite beer right from the start and put very, very little down the drain. Before, even with good compaction from the biofine, we were running a disappointing amount of beer down the drain to get it to clear.

Do you happen to have a TC valve on another side port on the tank? You could always pull any kegs you need brite off of that valve (say, for distribution) and keg off the cloudier beer and let settle in the keg. These kegs could then be served through your taproom (if you have one) and you could monitor the clarity and not move them around or abuse them as tends to happen out in the market. We place a butterfly valve before our perlick sample port just for this reason - backup. Just in case the clarity is poor and we need clear beer NOW we at least have an option to keg off a portion of the tank. That being said, now that we have stand pipes and our biofine process has been consistent we haven't needed to rely upon it *knocks on wood*

Cheers,
        Tom

Comment

No, no matter how many times I tell myself, when in doubt, put a valve on it, I did not. Have a drawer full of valves too Lessons never stop coming, Thanks Tom

Comment

Working...
          X