Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Break - Min Temp

This is probably the wrong forum but...

What is the minimum temperature hot break will occur? I"m asking due to elevation.

I'm having issues getting passed 201F, I'm clamping down the BK lid now to try to pressurize to get up to a temp when hot break will occur.
    Last edited by Alphaacid; 12-05-2016, 06:10 AM.

I usually see hot break starting to form around 190. I am at 4700ft, so boil is at 204.

Rich DeLano
    rich@threbrewinglair.com

Comment

I'm a mile high and never have a problem getting a good break. Boiling point is just a bit over 203F.

Cheers,
      --
      Don

Comment

Oh great so more people at high altitudes!

Is there any reason to pressure boil past the boiling point of my altitude? What is the alpha ISO conversion difference at high altitudes?

I'm at 2200m or 7217ft above sea level.

Comment

Talk to Rich/Susan At Brewing Lair

Rich and Susan At the Brewing Lair makes some great beers at a similar altitude, Hop character should not be a issue. You should talk with them.

#530.394.0940, Blairsden, CA.

Lance Jergensen
          Rebel Malting Co.
          Reno, Nevada USA

Comment

Thanks Lance. I believe Alpha acid isomerization starts taking place in the low 190s. If you have an open steam vent I doubt you are going to be pressure boiling too much. It would be interesting to see the difference in evaporation between boiling with the door open vs. closed.

Cheers,

Rich DeLano
            rich@thebrewinglair.com

Comment

The steam vent is pressurized and has a condensing unit on it to drain the steam. We can get up to 100C, 212F over ~20mins of heating.

Comment

Working...
              X