Thread: Waste Water Solution for Non-Municipal Water Systemts

Waste Water Solution for Non-Municipal Water Systemts

In planning for a 30BBL brewery whioch has no way to tie in to city sewage for waste water. Looking for advice on most effective and cost-efficient septic/ holding tank options from breweries in similar situations. Well and septic only! There is absolutely no option for city-water hookups at the location. Trying not to have to have a service suck our waste water every 2 weeks. That will get expensive. Looking for construction options, septic-safe treatments to accelerate decomposition of organic matter, etc.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

We're a 5BBL brewery in an environmentally sensitive area and we've installed our own water treatment plant for the brewery effluent (no sewage) and plan to use our recycled water for irrigation. It's all in place and I've been working with the State Water Quality Resources Board but we're still constructing the irrigation system so I haven't been able to use it yet. It can handle 2400 gallons in a 48-hour period via aerobic digestion, filtration, and sterilization. It's a big investment but it will be worth it once we dial it in. I plan to post about it once we get it on line.

BTW, I do know there are breweries that use septic systems for dispersal. You'll just need to size it accordingly and have enough percolation area to handle the flow.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

I'd suggest you try to get in touch with someone at Anderson Valley Brewing. I know they do all their own wastewater treatment on site, offhand they're the only larger craft brewery I can think of that has had to deal with issues like that.

Cheers and good luck.
    Manuel

Long Trail in Vermont also has their own wastewater treatment facility (no sewer out there, well water from aquifer the brewery is on.) I too looked into a 30 bll last year, Virginia. There is a guy on here from time to time who lives in Colorado. Specializes in wastewater. Here's essentially what youre up against;
    You really need a treatment facility. $200k and a full time guy to run it. In Victor, NY there is a company that has this machine that helps treat the water before it goes down the drain or distribution septic. You sidestream the brewing process, all the solids.

I left Virginia. I didn't want to get into the wastewater treatment business. A brewery is hard enough, especially starting as a 30 because now you need to package and distribute. And if you have no experience in the industry...

Oh... Lickinghole Creek near Richmond... They sidestream and have septic wastewater distribution... They also have 300 acres of land atop a hill. You might call them.

Indian Wells Brewng

I would Contact Indian Wells Brewing in Inyokern, CA.
    Their Spring/Water supply is up hill about a 1/4 mile from the brewery and they are on septic/ They make a solid, clean beer in the middle of the desert.
    Give them a call

Lance
    Rebel Malting Co.
    Reno, Nevada USA

Thank you, everyone. This is a massive help. I appreciate it.

Hi StaEva,

I'm curious what you were able to find out on this topic. We're facing similar issues here in northwest Washington, though the property we're looking at now is at least on municipal water supply.

Cheers,
    Ron Extract
    Garden Path Fermentation
    Skagit Valley, WA

Wastewater Engineer

Treating your waste on-site is very expensive. The city/town can do it form much less money due to economy of scale.

I've assisted many companies with this issue and often we find that moving to a location that has a city sewer is the best option.

If you are stuck with the location you can buy a packaged anerobic treatment system for $100k to $500k. In Massachusetts this also requires that you hire/contract a license wastewater operator and obtain all the permits.

It is always a bad idea to discharge brewery wastewater to a septic system and often illegal.

Anyone who want more help contact me at jmucharonie@paih2o.com
    Last edited by joemucha; 04-07-2017 at 03:36 PM.

I'd also be curious where you guys ended up if you ever check this thread again. We are currently on a 7 BBL system doing about 1200 BBLs per year and handling our own wastewater. To say that it's a huge PITA even at our size is an understatement.