Cheap lab tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap lab tests

After 10 yrs as a brewer, I've taken a position in the lab. Trouble is, it's a newer brewery (~1yr), and we don't have much cashflow. I love it in the lab, but the lab work that I have isn't quite enough to make up a full-time workload, so I'm being given a ton of not-so-fun odd jobs to fill out my work week. Could anyone suggest some inexpensive QC testing that I could be doing to beef up my lab workload? Currently in the lab, we're doing:

-Yeast cell counts and viability
    -PCR testing, running Invisible Sentinel BrewPal kits
    -Final density and pH on packaged product
    -Weekly taste panel
    -Calibration of the co2/DO testing unit

Thanks!

If you have a good environment, you can do some plating with selective media to see what you got in your beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is no point in analysing just for the sake of analysing.

The question should be - "what can I do that is cost effective to make the beer more saleable, for the package types that the brewery produces" There is no point in analysing just for the sake of analysing. So the first question in response to / support of the above is - what are customers complaining of, or what is currently inconsistent about the beer?

Alternatively, what are your associated skills that you could use to help you get into other markets? For instance - do you need a HACCP plan or other due diligence plan so that you can distribute / sell somewhere, or simply keep existing customers off your backs?
      dick

Comment

Working...
      X