Date Coding for Small-Scale Canning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date Coding for Small-Scale Canning

We're looking to get into canning on a relatively small level. We're currently looking at 15cpm canning lines from Cask and ABE. (If you use either of those, let me know what you think)

At this scale, what are breweries doing for date coding their cans? I've seen some very expensive options, but I was hoping that there might be a less-expensive solution. A $15,000 date coder on a $50,000 canning line seems crazy, but maybe that's just the way it is with date coders?

On a somewhat unrelated note, I'm quickly finding out that printing cans is expensive and the minimums are HUGE (100,000 cans per design). Are there any can printing companies out there that have reasonable minimums for smaller breweries? Or are shrink-sleeves the best way to go?
    Neil Chabut
    Eudora Brewing Co.
    Brewery and BOP
    Kettering, OH

We are about a year into using our cask SAMS so I might have some insight.

We ended up going with the higher end coder bought through cask, Linx CJ400. It is definitely overkill for running at 15 CPM but we are planning on the date coder growing with us as we grow to faster canning lines.

Mind you I'm in ontario canada but there is a manufacturer here, RN Mark, that some breweries around here have purchased. They are in the more $3-5000 CAD range. I'm sure they would be available in the states as well.

There are definitely less expensive options out there, just depends on what your short and long term goals are.

As far as printed cans go, you probably won't find minimums less than 1/2 loads which ball/rexam/crown might still do. I got a quote from ball about year and half a go for 1/2 order 75,000 (16 oz cans) but they ding you with charges to do small runs that you won't see on a full truckload order. We ended up doing full load orders as it made more sense for our business plan.

Mike
    Production Manager
    Oast House

Comment

We have the ABE line and have been very happy with it. Very easy to use and maintain once you get the hang of it. Their support has also been top notch. We currently just date out packaging and not the cans but are also looking at a more cost effective way of doing this. Ya you won't find printed cans for less than 1/2 truckload. We've been ordering shrink wrapped cans from Can Source for the past year and has worked well. 5 week turnaround on new orders, can order 1 pallet per design.

Comment

Originally posted by FourSonsBrewing View Post
        We have the ABE line and have been very happy with it. Very easy to use and maintain once you get the hang of it. Their support has also been top notch. We currently just date out packaging and not the cans but are also looking at a more cost effective way of doing this. Ya you won't find printed cans for less than 1/2 truckload. We've been ordering shrink wrapped cans from Can Source for the past year and has worked well. 5 week turnaround on new orders, can order 1 pallet per design.
        FourSonsBrewing - We're looking at the ABE line, it seems very simplistic (not that it's a bad thing). Can you add a depalletizer, twist rinser, date coder, etc to the line? I have a quote and brochure for the LinCan, but I can't find any info on accessories/add ons...even on their website. Thanks.

Jacqui Town
        Co-founder, Rinn Duin Brewery
        Toms River, NJ

Comment

Originally posted by jtown View Post
          FourSonsBrewing - We're looking at the ABE line, it seems very simplistic (not that it's a bad thing). Can you add a depalletizer, twist rinser, date coder, etc to the line? I have a quote and brochure for the LinCan, but I can't find any info on accessories/add ons...even on their website. Thanks.

Jacqui Town
          Co-founder, Rinn Duin Brewery
          Toms River, NJ
          Ya they have all that. We started with just the canning line, then bought the depal and twist rinse after about a year. In the process of getting it all hooked up so can't comment on the functionality but they do offer it

Comment

Working...
          X