Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Big Is Your Hose??

Ok now that I have your ATTENTION.....

I was wondering what size (diameter) hoses most brewers are using for systems in the 25 - 50 BBL size. I am specing a new 30 BBL system and have some options available. 1 1/2" was what I was planning but I figured I would see what everyone thought. My main concern is from heat exchanger out to fermenters and from fermenters to filter to bright tanks (both flex and hardpipe). Any info on hardpiping on brewhouse mash to grant to kettle would also be great.

Thanks,
    Steve

Good morning Steve,

We are just commissioning our 20 bbl plant and all the pipework, fittings etc. are 1 1/2" as was our previous 10 bbl plant. We visited loads of small and large breweries (awful job but somebody has to do it) to get an idea of what we needed and just about all of them were 1 1/2" up to about 50 bbl. I think one of the considerations is the cost of valves and fittings. 1 1/2" being as common as moo poo, is relatively inexpensive, where as anything bigger is getting into the expensive 'rare as teddy bear turds' range. Things may of course be different on your side of the pond. After all, things are bigger in the USA! All my best wishes for your new plant. Martin

Comment

Ive seen 5hl plants with a 40mm (2" ) hose and my 25 hl (100 hl fermenters) use a 1.5" hose no problem, its up to you and your fittings, just keep them all the same!
      www.Lervig.no

Comment

Thanks for feedback. The 1.5" path seems the most logical
        since I have a pile of it from my current system, why re-invent
        or re-purchase the wheel.
        Steve

Comment

One suggestion that I have is to spec your fermenters with 2" ports at the bottom of the cone. This makes dumping (especially pellet dryhopped beers)
          considerably easier, and keeping a reducer or two on hand is pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmhouse
            One suggestion that I have is to spec your fermenters with 2" ports at the bottom of the cone. This makes dumping (especially pellet dryhopped beers)
            considerably easier, and keeping a reducer or two on hand is pretty cheap.
            Thats exactly what we do, I suggest acentric cones
            www.Lervig.no

Comment

Working...
            X