12 - 15 Gallon Bright Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 - 15 Gallon Bright Tank

I know there's a lot of breweries out there using 1/2 BBL systems (e.g. BrewMagic) for a pilot or even as their start-up system. I've seen small fermenters (e.g. SS Tech, Spike) that would work with this size system but am not finding any bright tanks in that range. Is anyone aware of any? I know SS makes a 10 gal. bright but that doesn't leave any headroom for a 10 gallon batch (plus it's kinda spendy).

Alternatively would it be feasible to convert a 1/2 BBL keg to a bright tank? I'm thinking one could have a TC port welded into the side and insert a carb stone through that?
    Last edited by somenerve; 12-21-2016, 12:24 PM.

Originally posted by somenerve View Post
    I know there's a lot of breweries out there using 1/2 BBL systems (e.g. BrewMagic) for a pilot or even as their start-up system. I've seen small fermenters (e.g. SS Tech, Spike) that would work with this size system but am not finding any bright tanks in that range. Is anyone aware of any? I know SS makes a 10 gal. bright but that doesn't leave any headroom for a 10 gallon batch (plus it's kinda spendy).

Alternatively would it be feasible to convert a 1/2 BBL keg to a bright tank? I'm thinking one could have a TC port welded into the side and insert a carb stone through that?
    Sabco has a keg that is converted into a brite but they are quite spendy. It does work well though. Check it out and see if you could replicate it?
    Head Brewer
    Stable Craft Brewing
    www.stablecraftbrewing.com

Comment

This setup has worked well for me and is pretty cheap. This view is of the original bottom of the keg. The sanke connection is now the new bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161222_143347133.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	191276

A 2" TC gasket (one side cut smooth with a razor blade) and blank work well for the sanke connection. I've considered adding legs to accommodate a 2" TC elbow underneath, then add a spray ball to the top and now you can clean it like a big bright. In the picture above i've got the standard corny out and gas welded to the keg, then another gas connection welded to the corny lid. I've attached a 2um carb stone to the lid port via a silicone tube. Works like a champ.

mtn

Comment

Mtnmann are you saying that a standard 2" triclamp will fit over the sanke connector with just the modification to the gasket you mentioned? Am I correct in assuming you remove the spear first?
        Am also wondering whether a pressure relief valve and meter are necessary? Looks like you don't have them so I'm guessing they're not vital.

Comment

Yes, standard 2" TC will fit the sanke connection. Spear is removed from this setup because I don't need it but there's no reason you couldn't keep it on there if you wanted to use it. There is the standard corny pressure relief on the lid, safety first! I have a pressure gage with a corny gas (grey) connector attached. When I need to monitor pressure, I connect it. With a little welding, anything is possible.

mtn

Comment

Sweet! Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
            X