Filtration for Fruit Beers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtration for Fruit Beers

Looking for recommendations for cartridge style filter to mitigate fruit puree transfer when moving beer. Micron recommendations would be handy,

Thanks

bag filtration

Cartridges would be hard to clean and too expensive for single use.

I like using bag filtration: http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...tion/index.htm We get them from General Filtration in toronto.

The bags are $2-3 depending on the size so you can throw them out when finished. You can get different diameters and lengths and they come in various pore sizes. We use them to keep dry hops out of the pump and downstream.

you may also get a wire mesh filter housing from somewhere like gw kent. they are often used to keep debris out of the heat exchanger.

Comment

Have you tried putting one of these on the pump infeed? I have a brewery that is suffering from hop ingress because they use too few hops in one of their low bitterness beers to form a decent bed, and are continuously dragging hops through and blocking the wort transfer pump? Thanks.
      dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
        Have you tried putting one of these on the pump infeed? I have a brewery that is suffering from hop ingress because they use too few hops in one of their low bitterness beers to form a decent bed, and are continuously dragging hops through and blocking the wort transfer pump? Thanks.
        We do this regularly. The filter housing we have comes in perpendicular to the housing and out the end. It comes with 2" npt but we got a welder to put triclamp ferrules. I don't have it in front of me but the fiilter bag is about 3-4" in diameter and 8" long.

We clamp the filter directly to the racking arm butterfly valve on the tank. We put a sightglass inline and then the suction hose to the pump. We can turn the racking arm until we get a bit of haze and back it off.

When setting up we circulate peracetic through all of the hoses then chase with water. Then we push the water through with co2. The housing has a ΒΌ npt nipple on the lid which we connect to a ball valve and short bleed hose.

Generally it is not the best to put flow restriction on the suction side of a centrifugal pump. We have a vfd on the pump and run slowly. Occasionally with a high hop load the filter can slow the flow rate. The system works pretty well for us.

Comment

Thanks. This is actually for the kettle outlet, but if you are using it pre-pump for beer, then it obviously doesn't restrict flow much, so will be worth seriously considering for this purpose if I can't find another solution - I haven't been to look at the kit to inspect at this level of detail. I think it can wait 'til the New Year now

Cheers
          dick

Comment

Working...
          X