Thread: Glycol loop bypass valve

Glycol loop bypass valve

So I've read various posts on bypass valves at the end of the glycol loop and i'm still just plain struggling finding a valve that's suited for it.
    When i talked to pro-refrigeration they said the valve should be 1/2 the diameter of my header; I have a 2" header so i'm looking for a 1" valve.... that's most of my problem. I can find plenty of 3/4" valves that have the pressure range and temperature range but haven't found an 1" valve. So, if anyone has a part # they can share or verify that i'm good with a 3/4" valve (or multiple 3/4") I'd appreciate it.

TIA

Rob

Several users have these: https://www.mcmaster.com/#4703k56/=15oquqo

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    This is the one I have and it works flawlessly.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

Thanks. I'll assume you're using the 15-25 range? My tank jackets are rated up to 30psi

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deogey View Post
    Thanks. I'll assume you're using the 15-25 range? My tank jackets are rated up to 30psi

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    That's the range I'm using. My jackets are rated much higher than that but I run my system at 20psi. My glycol chiller also has an internal bypass so I'm covered pretty well against over pressurization.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

Another option...

I like the belt-and-suspenders approach much better: First line of defense is a solenoid that opens on the end of the header when all tanks are off. Easy logic on most controllers that have two outputs. Or add relays to your control panel if they don't. Easy option to keep glycol flowing without undue heating from pumping against a pressure relief valve. And then a pressure relief bypass as close to the chiller as possible. Internal if possible. That should only actuate when the solenoid, controller, or relay doesn't work properly. VFDs are also another way to keep header pressure constant regardless of tank loading. Bit more work and a bit more complex, but they work great. Remember that all energy you put into the system costs you money once for the energy cost of input, but also (and more expensively) again when remove that energy in the form of heat. If you limit how much goes in, you save money twice. This is a cheap and simple approach.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--