Geosmin in RO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geosmin in RO?

Hey everyone. I brew on a 3bbl system and use straight RO water and add minerals to mash water. I brewed an ESB which is 1 wk old. Upon tasting a sample I noticed an earthy/dirt aroma...but not really beet-like. Is it possible to have geosmin show up in RO water? These were brand new filters/membranes as well.
    I used Mangrove - Liberty Bell Ale Yeast, hydrated before pitching...
    I thought maybe it was an earthiness from the UK hops which were UK Admiral and East Kent Goldings...but prior to boil they smelled very fresh like berry, spicy, floral...well...like nice British hops.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Taste your water.

Seems like a good place to start. I'm sensitive to geosmin and can smell it a long way off. Never had it come across an RO before. My guess is that it's not geosmin, which has a very strong earthy/moldy smell to me. And it doesn't seem to last past the HLT, mash, and boil phases of brewing. So unless you are rectifying a strong beer with geosmin-tainted water, I can't see how that would be. Sometimes the ingredients of a beer just come together to synthesize new tastes that aren't just the sum of the parts....
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
    X