Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOP for fining in Unitank

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

What is a good standard operating procedure/best practice for adding and mixing in BioFine Clear to a unitank? My idea is:

Let beer finish fermenting and then cold crash for 2 days
    Dump sediment from the cone
    Add BioFine Clear through the unitanks hop port on top of the tank
    Hook up CO2 to racking arm and point the racking arm up
    Bubble in CO2 to the racking arm to help mix in the BioFine Clear
    Let the beer sit with BioFine for 2 days
    Carbonate the beer via unitanks carb stone
    Package the beer

Does that sound about right? If so, what PSI would you use to bubble CO2 through the racking arm to mix in the BioFine Clear? Do you keep the CO2 going or do you "burp" it by opening and closing the racking arm valve? How long would you do this process in order to mix in the BioFine? Would you leave the unitanks blowoff valve open during this process?

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Last edited by Catfish002; 01-03-2017, 07:13 AM.

We use a corny keg. Add biofine, purge a few times with c02, hook up to racking arm, and fill corny with beer. Then push beer back into uni with c02. We repeat again to ensure a good mix (7bbl tanks). We prefer doing it this way as we spund and so the uni is under pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's what we do

That's exactly the process we do Catfish. We get good results with it...however we found that you need to let it sit in the kegs for a couple of days before serving to settle out completely.
      Cheers,
      Hans Prahl
      Owner/Head Brewer
      Florence Brewing Company, CO

Comment

We have been using the process you are suggesting for sometime with great results. Typically only about 10 to 15 psi through the racking arm to help spread and mix the clarifying agent, then leave for 48 hours, dump sediment, carb with a stone and package as you mention.

Best of luck!

Originally posted by Catfish002 View Post
        Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

What is a good standard operating procedure/best practice for adding and mixing in BioFine Clear to a unitank? My idea is:

Let beer finish fermenting and then cold crash for 2 days
        Add BioFine Clear through the unitanks hop port on top of the tank
        Hook up CO2 to racking arm and point the racking arm up
        Bubble in CO2 to the racking arm to help mix in the BioFine Clear
        Let the beer sit with BioFine for 2 days
        Carbonate the beer via unitanks carb stone
        Package the beer

Does that sound about right? If so, what PSI would you use to bubble CO2 through the racking arm to mix in the BioFine Clear? Do you keep the CO2 going or do you "burp" it by opening and closing the racking arm valve? How long would you do this process in order to mix in the BioFine? Would you leave the unitanks blowoff valve open during this process?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comment

Vent?

Originally posted by stevesr75 View Post
          We have been using the process you are suggesting for sometime with great results. Typically only about 10 to 15 psi through the racking arm to help spread and mix the clarifying agent, then leave for 48 hours, dump sediment, carb with a stone and package as you mention.

Best of luck!
          Excellent and thanks! Are you leaving the unitanks blow off arm/valve open while putting CO2 through the racking arm for mixing or are you leaving the Unitank closed up?

Comment

follow up

Originally posted by Catfish002 View Post
            Excellent and thanks! Are you leaving the unitanks blow off arm/valve open while putting CO2 through the racking arm for mixing or are you leaving the Unitank closed up?
            I'm just about to use Biofine for the first time and i'm looking at using Catfish002's procedure. Interested in any feedback on Catfish's last question regarding venting or not.

cheers
            David

Comment

Originally posted by durham70 View Post
              I'm just about to use Biofine for the first time and i'm looking at using Catfish002's procedure. Interested in any feedback on Catfish's last question regarding venting or not.

cheers
              David
              Keep it closed...otherwise you're just going to scrub your aroma out.

Comment

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FourSonsBrewing View Post
                  Keep it closed...otherwise you're just going to scrub your aroma out.
                  Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
                  X