Exploding Growlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploding Growlers

Looking for input on other's experiences with this. We purchased a skid of branded amber 64oz. growlers from a very well known national supplier. We've filled and sold about 50 in four days. A customer called to complain the growler she purchased exploded on her kitchen counter. Her account was it seemed wet when it was bought and resting on the bar top but she assumed it was a little overflow from the filling. She put it in the back of car for the ride home and she noticed there was a strong beer smell as if the growler was actually leaking. She tightened the cap, placed a napkin on the refrigerator shelf and stored the growler on it over night. The next day the napkin was soaked like the glass was leaking and there was no beer coming out of the cap. She set the growler on her counter and in a few minutes it exploded!

I never heard of such a thing.

I apologized of course and promised to compensate her for her inconvenience and loss. The customer was very understanding and calm (perhaps more than I would have been).

First: Has anyone encountered the GLASS part of a growler leaking? I can only imaging an imperfection in the bottom or side? How about growlers exploding?

Please let me know how your growler supplier handled the issue?

Thank you!

It sounds like a there was a hairline fracture to the growler that eventually pulled apart under pressure. I would inspect my growlers and test them with water before using. A pallet can get knocked around in transit which would result in cracks.

Were the bottles filled under pressure?

Comment

Though we didn't have any of our customers experience this, others have who bought from the same company. They reacted very quickly and sent representatives to every customer that could have had glass from the lot that was experiencing the problems to inspect and ultimately replace any defective growlers. I would contact your supplier first thing and let them know, they should jump on this.

Comment

Growler

We have had 2 growlers break in a similar manner with our most recent shipment. We are in Harrisburg.
        Cheers!
        -Alan

Comment

I'd appreciate anyone with breakage incidents to shoot me a message to share notes. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X