Redwood and or Cedar Wood Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redwood and or Cedar Wood Chips

I have an opportunity to acquire large quantities of wood chips from cedar and redwood lumber processing near me. I know about the "beechwood aging" from a well known beer maker. I am looking for recipe suggestions that utilize these very aromatic woods.

Thank you all!

I would do a few very small batches with the redwood. The tannins from the redwood are different from tannins found in malt and hops. Great for tanning leather but maybe not so good for your beer.

Comment

American Cedar is not a food safe wood. Spanish Cedar which is not technically Cedar is what several popular brewers I know use.
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Beechwood BS

Just as a side note: Beechwood aging is complete nonsense. Beechwood has no flavor component. It is added to the mass-produced lager because it lends more surface area, and allows the lager to ferment more rapidly. If anything, it should be an indicator of low quality, not the opposite. Obviously this is not true of most wood added to beer.

Comment

An ex-coworker of mine once test-brewed a batch of stout with vanilla and cedar chips. Supposedly inspired by cigar humidors or some business.
          None of us could get past the aroma of hamster cage. It went down the drain.

Comment

Yeah, it's not great to work with. Depending on the kind of cedar it can be 'toxic'. Here's a chart: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/

We tried using Yellow cedar. Chips in a bag, weighted, in the bright. We sampled it every few hrs, then racked it off.

I love Coastal Cedar. It's just not a flavour that is good in beer. Some people liked it though. I wouldn't make it again.

Comment

Working...
            X