Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Headers for One Chiller

Hey folks,

I'm designing the glycol loop right now for the new brewery I'll be running and I was wondering if any of you have ever ran two FILO header systems that tee off of a single draw from one glycol chiller. I've got a 14" beam running through the brewery and tanks on either side of it. The north side of the beam holds four 10HL BBTs (with four 20HL BBTs to be added in the future) then three 10HL FVs plus one HX (later be expanded with one 10HL FV, four 20HL FV and two 20HL lager tanks) on the south side of the beam. Obviously I'll be leaving tees/valves in place for the future tanks. I can tee the main trunk line from the glycol chiller (located on the roof) in the ceiling space above the beam, and do the same with the return line, then build each FILO header along the ceiling on either side of the beam. I'm concerned that this system won't be truly balanced. I know that currently with only 7 tanks and one HX the system will have no issues, but with the addition of the new tanks in the coming years will it be able to cope? Has anyone seen a system like this, or done it themselves? I've been assured that our chiller is more than capable for this expansion, so I'm not worried about that. On the north side with room for 8 tanks I could run a smaller diameter pipe and a larger diameter pipe on the south side with with room for 10 tanks (plus HX). Will this solve any balance issue that may occur?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    Head Brewer
    Brazen Hall Kitchen & Brewery
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    brazenhall.ca

We have a similar setup, it works well, but the thing we noticed and have had to deal with is that filo works pretty good for the most part, but at some point when you have a mix of smaller and larger tanks, gravity will reduce the flow to a taller tank when a shorter tank calls for glycol. The solution is to put flow balancing valves on the output of each tank. I use globe style valves, you can also buy the fancy balancing valves with ports on it to actually sense the flow, This way I can balance the flow to all tanks individually, the smaller tanks need less glycol than the larger ones to keep the temperatures. The other thing, which will be the next install for us will be a pressure relief valve and a VFD on the supply pump. Right now we use the fixed bypass valve setup, which works but when the demand on the system is high, the pressure can drop to 8psi, which reduces flow to all tanks, with a pressure relief valve, the system will only bypass when there is low or no demand, and the VFD can over drive the pumps by a certain amount which will boost flow in times of very high demand.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
      We have a similar setup, it works well, but the thing we noticed and have had to deal with is that filo works pretty good for the most part, but at some point when you have a mix of smaller and larger tanks, gravity will reduce the flow to a taller tank when a shorter tank calls for glycol. The solution is to put flow balancing valves on the output of each tank. I use globe style valves, you can also buy the fancy balancing valves with ports on it to actually sense the flow, This way I can balance the flow to all tanks individually, the smaller tanks need less glycol than the larger ones to keep the temperatures. The other thing, which will be the next install for us will be a pressure relief valve and a VFD on the supply pump. Right now we use the fixed bypass valve setup, which works but when the demand on the system is high, the pressure can drop to 8psi, which reduces flow to all tanks, with a pressure relief valve, the system will only bypass when there is low or no demand, and the VFD can over drive the pumps by a certain amount which will boost flow in times of very high demand.
      This is great, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Head Brewer
      Brazen Hall Kitchen & Brewery
      Winnipeg, MB Canada
      brazenhall.ca

Comment

Working...
      X