Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for removing grain haze after batch mishap

Hey all!

We had a bit of a rookie mistake happen where I milled part of a batch and then something came up where I couldn't brew for a week or two and then used the couple week old (and dried) grain that was sitting in our hopper for the next batch. Well, grain passed through our false bottom, transferred to the BK and then to the fermenter. I had to bypass our chiller as it was getting repeatedly stuck and chilled to pitch temp overnight in our glycol cooled tank. Not optimal, for sure. I racked out as much as I could but now I'm stuck with a very grain hazy beer in the fermenter. It still tastes pretty good though so I'm hoping for some suggestions on how to best reduce this grain haze to salvage the batch. My plan was to use Biofine Clear and I've always been under the impression it works best during the cold crash/in the brite. Does anyone have any experience with an issue like this?

Also, we do all of our beers unfiltered so we don't have any filtration options, in that regard.

It's an Oatmeal Stout that is still somehow fermenting pretty well, if anyone is curious.

I appreciate any input anyone has!

Thank you,
    Rob

Guessing it is also going to astringent as well. Dump it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Starch hazes tend to be pretty permanent unless you filter, I second the idea of dumping it because it will likely be astringent. On another note, it sounds like your vorlauf procedures are inadequate, a good vorlauf would have caught that before you sent it to the kettle.

Comment

That's what I suspected, thanks for the responses folks.

Comment

Wait and See

Don't dump it just yet...

It's an Oatmeal Stout, I wouldn't be too concerned with haze. Also if the beer is still fermenting why are we judging turbidity when there is still yeast in suspension? As far as astringency is concerned you have some tolerance considering it is to be expected from your dark malts. Don't dump it yet, finish it, chill it, and make a final decision.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackOakSpirits View Post
            Don't dump it just yet...

It's an Oatmeal Stout, I wouldn't be too concerned with haze. Also if the beer is still fermenting why are we judging turbidity when there is still yeast in suspension? As far as astringency is concerned you have some tolerance considering it is to be expected from your dark malts. Don't dump it yet, finish it, chill it, and make a final decision.
            I definitely planned on finishing it regardless to see what the final output was. I'll stay optimistic!

Comment

Working...
            X