Brewery Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewery Insurance

Would anyone be willing to share what I might expect to pay for brewery insurance? I'm looking for coverage in the following areas:

Loss of Income
    Boiler/Machinery
    Product Recall
    Food Borne Illness
    Liquor Liability

All the insurance companies I've looked at require a business plan in order to issue a quote. However, to complete the plan, I need some idea of what to expect in insurance costs. Classic chicken and egg, I guess.

Anyway, I'm looking for general ballpark figures. We'll have an annual output of around 1000 bbl. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Boe Barnett
    Cabin Fever Beer Company
    Fairbanks, AK 990708
    Boe Barnett
    Denali Brewing Company
    Talkeetna, Alaska

$20-35k is the range of the quotes I've gotten. I'm planning on the high end.
    Scott Metzger
    Freetail Brewing Co.
    San Antonio, TX

Comment

Call "The Hartford" Companies. They have a customized plan for breweries already in the books and had very competitive rates.
      Service Center # in San Antonio, TX: (866)467-8730
      Good Luck
      Lance@Jergensen Brewing

Comment

brewery insurance

Scott,

I take it the 20K-35K range is per year?

Boe
        Boe Barnett
        Denali Brewing Company
        Talkeetna, Alaska

Comment

Originally posted by boebarnett
          Scott,

I take it the 20K-35K range is per year?

Boe
          That's correct.
          Scott Metzger
          Freetail Brewing Co.
          San Antonio, TX

Comment

Give Shirley Dean a call at Whalen Insurance: 800-235-0355. I called when I was first developing my business plan and she was able to provide a ballpark figure based on square footage and estimated barrelage. On the high end, she said $5,000 to $7,000 for coverage of property, premises liability, liquor liability, equipment breakdown, and event liability (for a reasonable amount of events per year; for example 4 or 5 PR events). She also said an additional $3,000 per year for workman's comp coverage. Now, I'm starting a microbrewery - not a brewpub. The coverage, I assume, would be higher for a brewpub, but it's worth calling Shirley to find out. She's a nice lady.

Actually, I just looked and found a PDF of their buyer's guide that details their coverage much more than I can. Email me and I'll send you what I've got. I still encourage you to call Shirley. Really, she's a nice lady.

Tsewong

tsewong73@hotmail.com
            Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
            Strangeways Brewing
            2277-A Dabney Road
            Richmond, VA 23230
            804-303-4336
            www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

3.8% sales for liquor liability

I received a quote that worked out 3.8% of sales for liquor liability. Good Luck

Comment

If you are going to have a taproom or host events on premises your insurance likely will not be very different because you'll need the same serving and premises coverage.

With any insurance coverage I would suggest contacting multiple insurers directly as well as several brokers. Let them compete for your business, not only on price but also in terms of coverage. An insurance policy that doesn't adequately protect your assets is worth far less than what you are paying for it. The last thing you want to do is have to see your fermentors get auctioned off to pay a claim because somebody was injured in your parking lot and your insurance coverage was insufficient.
                DFW Employment Lawyer
                http://kielichlawfirm.com

Comment

We were quoted $160/month for our Nano / Tap Room project. Tax Bond, $100K equipment, General & Liquor Liability, $1M umbrella.
                  Six Sigma Master Blackbelt - Lean manufacturing expert. Beer production is food manufacturing. Why not do it efficiently!

Comment

Working...
                  X