Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glycol Chiller help needed. Sizing, installing and understanding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Chiller help needed. Sizing, installing and understanding.

Hey all, I've spent hours/days trying to take bits and pieces of information from a number of posts on here, which have been beyond helpful. I'm still unsure about a few things and may need somebody to "explain like I'm 5 years old" to me. I am ready to order and setup my glycol system. I have a 3.5bbl brewhouse with 2x 7bbl fermenters and a 7bbl brite. My current building would allow 2 more 7bbl tanks at most, so expansion wont go past that until we build a new facility. I won't need to support much more than that for a few years. Online calculators show me that I need 5145 BTU/hr with 3 tanks and 6265 BTU/hr with the 5 tanks. So far 2 Chillers have been recommended to me:

Advantage Engineering BC-1A, 1hp compressor, 1/2hp Process Pump, 5606 BTU/hr for $4660.

Pro Chiller Pro 3/4HP Chill 8 Flow Series, 5800 BTU/hr for $4000
    http://prochiller.com/chillers/#d36ac916d67d02a46

I've seen some people using Foxx chillers like this one: https://foxxequipment.com/product/gl...-34-hp-pr-7949
    Is there any reason that unit wouldn't be able to handle my tanks needs? Would I need to purchase an extra pump or things to make it work?

Sorry to sound so basic, I've never worked with Glycol before and it's completely new to me. I appreciate any information you can share, pictures, anything!
    Cheers!

I'm where you are too, don't feel bad!! I'm not well versed on the calculations of HP needed, so I'll wait to hear from someone who can teach both of us.

What I do know is that you'll need to set up a manifold to distribute you're 28degF glycol to the tanks that need it at any given time, and a method to control that flow. I think most use electric solenoid valves, but I have read about a couple guys using grundfos circ pumps for each loop/circuit. The pumps aren't terribly expensive.

In terms of control, you can get a custom made panel from someone like eBrewsupply so that you can make changes and check temps from your mobile (something I see as valuable), or you can use ranco/Johnson/inkbird controllers to run the valves or pumps. Option 1 is more eloquent, but more expensive.

All of your tanks are jacketed and insulated??

Cheers!!

-J.
    Jeremy Reed
    Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
    The North of 48 Brewing Company
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Thanks, glad I'm not alone. Yeah, my tanks will all be jacketed and insulated. My head is spinning from reading so much on glycol today. I'm hoping somebody can lay it out easily, or show pictures of a setup they created.

Comment

Contact the guys at Prochiller. They will help you calculate for current and future loads. Very helpful and no pressure on the sales side.
        Prost!
        Eric Brandjes
        Cole Street Brewery
        Enumclaw, WA

Comment

Contact the guys at Prochiller. They will help you calculate for current and future loads. Very helpful and no pressure on the sales side.
          Prost!
          Eric Brandjes
          Cole Street Brewery
          Enumclaw, WA

Comment

Bit of advice for you - you're going to want to size your chiller say 20% larger than your maximum load, otherwise your chiller may can end up working harder than it is designed for and having a much shorter lifespan.

in terms of set up - Personally I think its easier to set up a single chiller with one pump a header and solenoids that allow glycol to flow into the jackets when called for. That's what you'd want to do with a larger unit.
            I've heard of guys using things like the foxx chiller you linked - from what I've read they're using 1 pump for each tank. And from what I remember reading (its been a while since I looked at those threads) it seemed like 1 chiller could be set up for 2 tanks that way.

I would say look at getting either 1 1.5HP chiller and setting up a header with it, or get 2 chillers from foxx. Set up 1 chiller for each of your fermenters and use a single chiller for your brite. Its overkill on the brite, but you want to make sure that you can get that beer cold to carbonate and package. If your chiller is struggling to keep up you'll have a much more difficult time getting carbonation and packaging dialed in.

Cheers and good luck
            Manuel

Comment

Working...
            X