glycol Solenoid valves ON/OFF good enough or Variable valves needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glycol Solenoid valves ON/OFF good enough or Variable valves needed

I'm talking with an engineer about my glycol piping plans, he's suggesting we use Variable control valves instead of on/off solenoid valves on the glycol supply line to keep better control on fermentation temperature. I know this is not totally necessary as many other breweries just use on/off valves, but do you all think its worth the extra money to get more precise temp control?

Hey Dan, sent you a PM...

Comment

Unless you're using really tiny fermenters--like <1bbl, the thermal mass is so great I seriously doubt you'd ever notice a difference when using variable valves--except for a bigger dent in your wallet.

Slow-closing solenoid valves are well worth the cost, as they save lots of wear and tear due to hydraulic hammer. Most slow-closers are pneumatically operated.

Be sure to provide isolation valves on both sides of the vessels, upstream of the inlet valves. At some point you will need to maintain the solenoids and the ability to do so without shutting the entire system down is worth it's weight in gold.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I'd love to hear the outcome to the original question....

I don't know anything about variable flow glycol valves, but I know that as soon as electric variable/proportional control is introduced into hydraulics, cost and complexity goes way up...

-J.
        Jeremy Reed
        Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
        The North of 48 Brewing Company
        Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
          Unless you're using really tiny fermenters--like <1bbl, the thermal mass is so great I seriously doubt you'd ever notice a difference when using variable valves--except for a bigger dent in your wallet.

Slow-closing solenoid valves are well worth the cost, as they save lots of wear and tear due to hydraulic hammer. Most slow-closers are pneumatically operated.

Be sure to provide isolation valves on both sides of the vessels, upstream of the inlet valves. At some point you will need to maintain the solenoids and the ability to do so without shutting the entire system down is worth it's weight in gold.
          I've seen this sentiment twice in the last bit. So you'd suggest a manual valve between the supply T/manifold and the solenoid valve on the inlet side , and another just before the return T/manifold?? Then that tanks circuit can be isolated??

-J.
          Jeremy Reed
          Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella

www.no48.ca

Comment

Correct Jer,
            It is extremely helpful to be able to isolate a tank from the Header. Leaks happen, moving tanks happens. To keep your system up and running while you work or move a tank saves time money and glycol. I suggest if the drop from the header is copper a ss nipple off your outlet and inlet connecting directly to a dielectric union then on to copper. If you are using pex or some other type piping put a union in as well at each inlet/outlet. Finally I always put a bypass ball valve around any solenoid valve. Cheers.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I also prefer a flexible drop from the header for similar reasons. It makes it very easy to replace a solenoid vale ('though most electric solenoids can be rebuilt in place), move a vessel, etc. We've even removed the glycol circuit entirely and run warm water through the jackets to jump-start a stuck ferment (last-ditch effort, but it worked).

If for any reason you ever need to disconnect a vessel from the glycol system, close the inlet valve first, then the outlet, but remove the drop from the outlet (top port) first, to prevent a partial vacuum from forming in the jacket. Cooling jackets are incredibly fragile, and a collapsed or leaking jacket an expensive nightmare.
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
                I'm talking with an engineer about my glycol piping plans, he's suggesting we use Variable control valves instead of on/off solenoid valves on the glycol supply line to keep better control on fermentation temperature. I know this is not totally necessary as many other breweries just use on/off valves, but do you all think its worth the extra money to get more precise temp control?
                Engineers tend to come up with some wacky, unnecessary stuff when brought in to consult on small brewery infrastructure. Variable control valves are laughably out of place in this application. If you want to upgrade something on your glycol system, consider going with motorized ball valves instead of solenoids, much more reliable and not that much more expensive.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! Ill skip the variable control valves.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
                    Thanks for all the advice! Ill skip the variable control valves.
                    I use these. Solenoid issues a long forgotten thing of the past. Need to transform line power to 24V. My control panel does that for me.

Pax.

Liam
                    Liam McKenna
                    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I don't see any rebuild kit listed for those valves, Liam. We use Asco Red-hats for our electric solenoids--very easy to rebuild or clean in place, but have replaced most with pneumatically operated valves for the slow-close feature and less flow restriction. I don't recall the brand right now.

Low-voltage control circuits are a very good idea in the brewery from a safety point of view.

The Fuji PXR line of PID thermo-controllers are an excellent choice for temperature control if you want to keep things simple.
                      Last edited by TGTimm; 01-20-2017, 11:35 AM.
                      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
                        I don't see any rebuild kit listed for those valves, Liam. We use Asco Red-hats for our electric solenoids--very easy to rebuild or clean in place, but have replaced most with pneumatically operated valves for the slow-close feature and less flow restriction. I don't recall the brand right now.

Low-voltage control circuits are a very good idea in the brewery from a safety point of view.

The Fuji PXR line of PID thermo-controllers are an excellent choice for temperature control if you want to keep things simple.
                        There are replacement actuator heads available for about 75 buck each. Never had to service one. The CV on these valves is tremendous. Never fouls. Never had one fail.

Pax.

Liam
                        Liam McKenna
                        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Thx for the info guys.

-J.
                          Jeremy Reed

www.no48.ca

Comment

Working...
                          X