calypso hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calypso hops

Has anyone dealt with or does anyone have any info they wouldn't mind sharing about calypso hops?
    Melinda Gulsever
    Head Brewer
    Backward Flag Brewing Co.
    Forked River, NJ

I used it for 1 brew. Pretty simple grain bill w pilz and carapilz only. I used it for 2 hop additions and dry hop it wasnt bad didnt get the tropical aroma I was hoping for. Not sure I would use it again too many other new hops I want to use
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Comment

I used it as one of our series of single hop IPAs. Using the exact same grain bill each time and a similar amount of hops with each batch really highlights differences in any particular hop variety. I agree with beerguy -- not as much tropical but not bad. Of the single hop batches I've done, it was my least favorite behind Mosaic, Citra and El Dorado. I've paired it with mosaic to nice results, but that may just be the mosaic being mosaic. I will probably not use again once gone.

dave
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

Thanks guys. I was actually hoping this hop wasn't going to have very tropical notes, im searching for that apple aroma and taste that this hop is suppose to carry.
        Melinda Gulsever
        Head Brewer
        Backward Flag Brewing Co.
        Forked River, NJ

Comment

I use Calypso in conjunction with other hops in several beers. I actually like it a lot. I find it doesn't give a lot of tropical/citrus. Instead I feel I get a fair bit of stone fruit character from it - cherry and ripe plum.
          Never used it as a single hop but I like the hop quite a bit in blends with others.
          Manuel

Comment

We have used it in a single hop, blonde ale style beer. Bittered, w.p. and dry hopped with it to better assess what kind of hop this was. I felt it was extremely floral, a slight spice/bitterness to the flavor with a smooth bitter bite. Seemed like we needed to try other hops with it, but all in all, it wasn't my cup of tea.

Comment

I've used this in a couple of instances with decent success, but I personally feel that it lacks as a single hop addition. In a moderately hopped+dryhopped Pale ale, it gives me tons of cherry and other stone fruit. Almost like Hawaiian punch. I couple it with cascade in even amounts and I find that the intense stone fruit balances out really well to noticeable, but not overpowering. The two play very nicely, Imho.

Comment

Working...
              X