Calculating keg inventory - no distribution model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating keg inventory - no distribution model

For planning/costing purposes, I'm trying to calculate required keg inventory. I realize this is a difficult question with so many variables, so here's some data:

- 3bbl brewhouse, 5 fermenters (3bbl), 1 brite (3bbl), estimated 365bbl/year production. Kegging off brite every 3-4 days.
    - No distribution, all in house sales from taproom (production and taproom are separate premises, so serving tanks are not an option at this time)

Preference is mostly for 1/2bbl kegs to minimize handling, with a few of 1/6bbl for partial fills at end of brite.

On the surface it should be fairly simple - if I'm emptying kegs at the same rate as I'm filling them. But there are variables, such as saving up a pile of dirty of kegs to wash more efficiently in one go (ie. more than one brite emptying between keg washing) and seasonal fluctuations (the above numbers are an average across the year) etc.

Any insight appreciated! I've searched other posts, but most are for distribution only, or a significant proportion of distribution.

Cheers.

Originally posted by OwlBat View Post
    For planning/costing purposes, I'm trying to calculate required keg inventory. I realize this is a difficult question with so many variables, so here's some data:

- 3bbl brewhouse, 5 fermenters (3bbl), 1 brite (3bbl), estimated 365bbl/year production. Kegging off brite every 3-4 days.
    - No distribution, all in house sales from taproom (production and taproom are separate premises, so serving tanks are not an option at this time)

Preference is mostly for 1/2bbl kegs to minimize handling, with a few of 1/6bbl for partial fills at end of brite.

On the surface it should be fairly simple - if I'm emptying kegs at the same rate as I'm filling them. But there are variables, such as saving up a pile of dirty of kegs to wash more efficiently in one go (ie. more than one brite emptying between keg washing) and seasonal fluctuations (the above numbers are an average across the year) etc.

Any insight appreciated! I've searched other posts, but most are for distribution only, or a significant proportion of distribution.

Cheers.
    How many taps are you planning to have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a 3bbl brewery and double batch into 3 - 6BBL fermenter. Brewing roughly 5-6 double batches per month. All taproom and all served from kegs. I think I have roughly 60 kegs on hand.
      Kegging 1-2 times a week and cleaning 12-18 kegs per week.
      Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeachBrew View Post
        How many taps are you planning to have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
        I'm thinking six taps.

Comment

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
          I am a 3bbl brewery and double batch into 3 - 6BBL fermenter. Brewing roughly 5-6 double batches per month. All taproom and all served from kegs. I think I have roughly 60 kegs on hand.
          Hope this helps

That's a great start, thanks. Seems like you have a similar produiction to what I'm planning, so that number steers me in the right direction.

Comment

Keg Storage Question

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
            Hope this helps

Are you storing all finished beer in a cooler? If so how large? Do you store on pallets, racks, or carts? Can you comment on keg handling?
            We're in the planning stages on our cold box. Our production would be similar.

Comment

Originally posted by canbrewery View Post
              Are you storing all finished beer in a cooler? If so how large? Do you store on pallets, racks, or carts? Can you comment on keg handling?
              We're in the planning stages on our cold box. Our production would be similar.
              My cooler is a continual mess but we deal with it. It is 10x18. I have all 11 beers on tap normally double stacked along one wall and corner. The other 3 walls are keg storage, kegs stacked 2 high and 2 deep. I also store all my dirty kegs in here and all hops and misc ingredients.

If I had it my way, I would want about double the space for this volume.

Comment

Working...
              X