Fermentation Issues / Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentation Issues / Questions

Hey all.. So I've a couple of questions that maybe Ye guys could help me with!

1. I'm brewing a NE style IPA soon and I've noticed that a lot of them still have a large portion of yeast in suspension.. I suppose the question is... Is there not a huge risk of re fermentation in cans.. Bottles.. Kegs etc? I know oats and wheat can help with the cloudiness but still! Are the beers going through pasteurisation ?

2. I brewed a saison last year and added fresh apricots and peaches in the whirlpool. I fermented as normal and being a saison it fermented out quite quickly. About 3 weeks in kegs it started re fermenting like crazy. To be point where the pressure in the kegs increased dramatically.. As did the ABV. The O.G was 1065 and finished at like 1011 or so.

Thanks all

The yeast will not metabolize any fermentables further, once it hits terminal gravity it is done; unless you add additional fermentables (e.g. dextrose, fruits). What sounds like may have happened to you in the past may have been was either you racked off prior to hitting your final gravity, you had an infection, or both.

Say you have an IPA at 1.044 (11* plato), you pitch with a clean west coast style yeast with 73-80% attenuation and it ends up hypothetically at 1.010 (2.5* plato). Based on your mash temp and the attenuation of you yeast your beer is done at 1.010 and will not drop further (with good sanitation) whether your beer is filtered or unfiltered. Hope this makes sense, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora8331 View Post
      Hey all.. So I've a couple of questions that maybe Ye guys could help me with!

1. I'm brewing a NE style IPA soon and I've noticed that a lot of them still have a large portion of yeast in suspension.. I suppose the question is... Is there not a huge risk of re fermentation in cans.. Bottles.. Kegs etc? I know oats and wheat can help with the cloudiness but still! Are the beers going through pasteurisation ?

2. I brewed a saison last year and added fresh apricots and peaches in the whirlpool. I fermented as normal and being a saison it fermented out quite quickly. About 3 weeks in kegs it started re fermenting like crazy. To be point where the pressure in the kegs increased dramatically.. As did the ABV. The O.G was 1065 and finished at like 1011 or so.

Thanks all
      Yeast in suspension with nothing to metabolise will not referment. That is assuming you dont have something else in the package that can metabolise what the parent strain couldnt....I am a huge proponent of always doing a forced fermentation for every brew I make. While not perfect, it will give you a very good idea if your product is fermented to completion.

Comment

Are you not risking the beer being dry then or do you just compensate with a higher original gravity ?

Comment

Working...
        X