black cherries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black cherries

Has anyone recently used blackcherries in any of thier recipes?
    What did you think?

Polish morello cherries

Never used black cherries, but I did once make a try at a small batch of fruit-holiday stout with Polish cherries.

My wife's family is a part-Polish, so for a holiday ale, I took a Russian Imperial Stout recipe, and modified it with Polish morello sour cherries. The cherries come in a syrup. Took the cherries out of the syrup, blended them, and let 'er rip. Worked well, but frankly it could be because all of the ingredients (molasses, licorice) masked any major defects.

Cheers,
    --Jake Tringali

Comment

Black cherries have little acid and a lot of sugar. Their flavour impact at low dosages will be weak.

Made a few experimental fruit/herbal beers in Dublin. Unless presented in sweeter forms, low acid fruits performed poorly in taste panel work. Sour cherries presented better according to panelists.

Another cherry use consideration: if using whole fruit (not pitted) you'll want to monitor the ferment on the fruit. Apparently, cherry pits are very high in cyanide/cyanogenic compounds. Important to cherry flavour presentation, dangerous if stone/pit contact is extensive during fermentation with alcohol present.

Pax.
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
      X