Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting kettle and burner

Do I understand how to brew beer? Yes.
    Do I understand the principals of fermentation? Absolutely.
    Do I understand how to vent a direct fired 5bbl system. NOT A CHANCE!

We are opening a 5bbl brewpub soon and it's time to start venting the burner and kettle.

We have a 20' run from the chimney exhaust port (6.25") on the kettle to the roof, and a 17' run from the steam port (4.25") on the kettle to the roof. We ended up going with a Midco EC300 burner.

I have read pretty much every page on here about venting a kettle and burner but am still looking for up to date information from you guys, the pro brewing community.

QUESTIONS:
    What type of material; Galvanized for burner exhaust, stainless for steam? Double wall or single wall? Type B?

Do either, or both of these runs "need" a bend, or can they run straight vertical out past the roof? (The steam port has a catch built in for condensation trying to return, it goes down a drain tube off to the side of the kettle rather than back into the boil)

Any special pieces needed to be installed in the burner exhaust flue run for burner adjustment capabilities?

Do I just install the largest pipe possible (6.25" and 4.25") for each connection?

Anything else you want to add?

Some pretty broad questions, I know. Just looking for some insight from people I figure know the answers...or at least have a better idea than me!

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by BrewingPadawan; 02-02-2017, 05:43 AM.

Tough question to answer since your local building codes will dictate much of this. Flue stacks are generally double walled and insulated and rated for 1000 degrees.
    Consult your building inspector and equipment manufacturer for requirements.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as the flues go, this is a question for the manufacturer and a mechanical engineer who is familiar with the local codes as stated above, though in general straight runs are preferred over runs with bends in them. As for your steam vent, I used stainless chimney liner, its fairly cheap and comes in various sizes, not sure if they come as small as 4.25", our vent is 10" and it works well.

Comment

I also have a Midco ECC300 that came with my system from Premier Stainless. I have a couple of .pdfs that came with their system that detail venting requirements for 5 and 7 bbl systems. Send me an email to dave at threeforksnc dot com and I'll send the .pdfs to you. They were too large to upload here.

Dave
        Dave Cowie
        Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
        Nevada City, CA

Comment

If you go directly to Midco's website they have all the install PDFs available to download

Comment

Thank you all for the insightful responses.
            Dave (barleyfreak) from Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company sent me the PDF's he was referring; they stated both simple information and more specific information that I found to be very helpful.

If anyone has anymore info about the Venting/Burner situation they want to share to this thread, great.
            If anyone wants the PDF's Dave sent me, no problem; just ask!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BrewingPadawan View Post
              Thank you all for the insightful responses.
              Dave (barleyfreak) from Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company sent me the PDF's he was referring; they stated both simple information and more specific information that I found to be very helpful.

If anyone has anymore info about the Venting/Burner situation they want to share to this thread, great.
              If anyone wants the PDF's Dave sent me, no problem; just ask!

Cheers
              Can I get that PDF as well please. We used double wall B Vent and the CIP is eating away the vent at the kettle. Need to replace asap. Ive also noticed slide gates at the kettle opening on some of my friends kettles. I think I know now why.
              sean@whitewallbrewing.com Cheers

Comment

Padawan-I designed my own burner and venting for our 7bbl system; feel free to drop a line if you have any questions. There are a lot of considerations when it comes to choosing flue diameter, etc. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

New World Brewing 5bbl system venting...

"We have a 20' run from the chimney exhaust port (6.25") on the kettle to the roof, and a 17' run from the steam port (4.25") on the kettle to the roof."

We are facing almost the exact scenario here at BIRCUS.

ceiling heights, system... etc.

We have a New World Brewing systems 5bbl brew house and also need to vent it through the roof that is roughly 24' high. I am thinkind double wall for the Natural Gas 300,000 BTU burner vent.

For the steam vent on the brew kettle. Do we have to go all the way to the roof with this or can we take it up a few feet to a bend just over 90˚ to a drip line, then out through the wall? I don't want to go an additional 20+ ft. if we don't have to.

I'd love to get those .PDF files as well. Any additional info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Strongmanager@BIRCUS.com

Comment

Can I get the .pdfs? Thanks in advance!
                    BrevardAleWorks@gmail.com
                    Keith
                    Co-Owner/Head Brewer
                    Brevard Ale Works

Comment

Sorry for the delay guys and gals.
                      All PDF's have been sent...better late than never!

Cheers

Comment

.pdf files

Could you please send those .pdfs to me as well?

Cheers!!

jr@watermanbrewing.com

Comment

Probable the most Important thing is your Local Building Code !!!!!!

Probable the most important thing is your Local Building Code !!!!!
                          They can be very picky, it's a balance between what the Mfg, wants, needs and what your Local code wants, will accepts...

It always best to find what the mfg needs, wants, study it, plan it out, price it out, then carefully find out what the local codes are, make friends offer a beer, move forwards...

Good luck
                          Gregg

Comment

shoot me an email and I'll send over some pics of our 7 bbl setup. I vented everything myself. As all have mentioned, local codes vary. I can tell you that your ec300 is way overkill on the 5bbl. Jon@oldcoastales.com

Comment

Working...
                            X