UV light for RO water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV light for RO water?

Hello all. We will be filling our cold liquor tank with reverse osmosis water for our needs. Is it advisable to place a uv light inline just before the tank? We are a brewpub and I was planning on just running a sani cycle on the clt each week but wanted to get some opinions first. Thanks!

Yes its a good idea.

Specifically put it in a loop from the holding tank with a pump on a 4hour on/off cycle timer. This keeps the tank sanitary.
    Last edited by Ted Briggs; 02-06-2017, 07:43 AM.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Yes it's a good idea, but, the water that comes out of an RO plant is sterile, so any infection pickup will be due to inadequate cleaning of the delivery pipework to the tank, and from the pipework to point of use. So the better place is to put it at the outlet of the storage tank.

Now comes the downsides to UV.

You either have to have the thing running all the time, and recirculate it through the tank, when it is not being used for supply to the plant, and then also sterilises on the way out to the plant - which I have done in major breweries, or you use ClO2 which then has some residual kill effect in the pipework and hoses. UV is only as good as the system it is installed in. It has to be cleaned out regularly - amazingly since it is RO water, and should be clear of anything, but there we are, that's my experience, the light ahs to be checked and maintained regularly, which OK, is no different to anything else, but ideally you need remote alarm handling to make sure you know when it goes wrong, ir perhaps more normally, is just failing to work properly.

If you only use the water periodically, then you have to remember to switch the unit on in sufficient time to allow it to heat up.

And if your distribution piping isn't strictly hygienic all the way through to point of use, then it is almost a waste of time.

Personally, I wouldn't bother in a very small brewery, but simply make sure the pipework from RO plant to tank, the tank itself and the distribution pipework and hoses are cleaned effectively and regularly. In my opinion, even though I have specified and commissioned quite a number, they are almost more trouble than they are worth in big breweries, let alone micros.
      dick

Comment

As DM says, probably the best place to locate a U/V lamp would be on the outlet. Indeed, this is common practice on laboratory ultra-pure water systems and also means the lamp needs only to come on when water is being taken.

Comment

RO Water and UV light

Yes, using UV light to kill bacteria is very effective. All of our custom designed and built RO units include a UV light. Our UV lights are "on demand" units. Having the light on all the time is more cost and not necessary.

An additional step in controlling bacteria in a storage situation is to limit light exposure. RO Water in your CLT will last longer with no light.

Thank You Jimmy Fagan
          CraftBrewWater.com
          805-777-7037

Comment

CLT pump aux contact...

I've installed UV lights on CLT before. As stated, put it on outlet of tank. Not the inlet. Easy to make the UV work only when pumping water out; use an auxiliary contact on your CLT pump motor starter to engage the UV light. That way the light is only on when you pump. Should be very easy and inexpensive for anyone familiar with basic electrical controls. This will work. Best luck!
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

We typically install UV on atmospheric tanks on a recirc loop powered by a pump. Pump needs to move appropriate gpm, and UV has to be sized appropriately. We do not see much in the way of maintenance headaches on these systems.

Russ
              Water Treatment Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com
              Info@buckeyehydro.com 513-312-2343

Comment

Working...
              X