Canned Beer Micro Sampling Technique Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned Beer Micro Sampling Technique Questions

I've had a couple issues now with false positives in the lab for canned beer (using a mobile canner).

On occasion one of multiple samples from a can will show growth (BBT samples are clean and the other canned samples are clean), so I'm thinking it is in my can sampling technique.

My procedure is as follows-

-Wipe down lab bench with 70% alcohol.
    -Working near an alcohol burner- no laminar flow hood, unfortunately.
    -Can tops are flamed using a propane torch for 5 seconds prior to opening- opened by hand wearing nitrile gloves sprayed with alcohol.
    -Samples taken using individually wrapped sterile pipettes and medium tubes inoculated and incubated.

Since all of my tank samples are coming back clean, it doesn't seem to be a lab environmental issue contaminating the sampling procedures.

My thought is that it is an issue with how I am opening and sampling the cans.

Anybody have different means of sterilizing the top of the can prior to opening?

Another more sterile means of opening it for sampling? Opening a can normally of course pushes the top of the can down into the beer which seems like a great way to contaminate a sample.

See any other issues with my process?
    Jonathan Newman
    The Virginia Beer Company
    Williamsburg, VA

Your technique sounds very similar to the one I use. The only thing that I do differently is that I use a Kimwipe to wipe the lids with 70% isopropyl alcohol instead of flaming them. So far I haven't had any issues with false positives, so you could give that a try.

Do you know which filler head(s) the contaminated samples came from, or are the cans taken from the line at random?

Comment

some other tips

I pretty much do the same thing, but here are a few more pointers.

1. I spray the can top with iso and flame it.
      2. Wash your damn hands first!
      3. I work in proximity to an alcohol lamp.
      4. After opening up the can, I flame a piece of foil and rest it over the top when I'm not actively sampling.
      5. Shut the door. Make sure there isn't a lot of air movement around you that can bring stuff down.

Comment

Looks like my process is pretty close to what you guys are doing.

I'll definitely try alcohol+flame on the can tops instead of just the flame as I've been doing. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the feedback.
        Jonathan Newman
        The Virginia Beer Company
        Williamsburg, VA

Comment

Like Schue said, have you been able to look at a pattern in regards to filling heads sampled and contamination results?

Comment

Working...
          X