Thread: USPTO Trademarks - Statement of Use

USPTO Trademarks - Statement of Use

After filing for my USPTO trademark and receiving my Notice for Publication, I now need to provide a Statement of Use which shows my mark in use. I am not bottling/canning or doing any distribution at this point. I will only be serving beer from kegs through my taproom. Any idea what could be consider a "specimen" showing my mark in commerce? Having my brewery name embossed on my kegs? Any experience/insights? Thank you!

Your label approved by COLA will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to my brewer's notice, it states I only need a COLA if I'm selling beer in interstate commerce or by state law. Considering I'm not canning/bottling/distributing and my state (WI) doesn't require labeling, my understanding is that I won't need a COLA. Unless I'm missing something?

You are correct but I think you need to have approved label in the way to get WI license.

USPTO wants you be be in interstate business as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had pictures of it in use on keg collars, etc. If it is your logo, that is good enough, or at least that is what our trademark attorney said. For individual beer brands, you also need to have proof that it has been sold or will be for sale. There is a grace period for this, so you can file the mark and then you have 6 months to show it in commerce, if not then you have to file an extension(there are 5 extension I believe).