Head Retention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Retention

Looking for ideas to increase head retention. Our beers currently don't have any. We have good lacing on the glass, but none of that light fluffy foam. I've pressure checked our carb stones, we have good flow. I use the minimum amount of biofine for clarity. Our water chemistry is good and we carbon filter. Malt doesn't seem to have any effect, our wheat beers don't have any head. Our CO2 volumes range 2.3-2.5 after packaging, so its not like the beer is flat. I've heard spunding with natural carbonation can work but my tanks aren't pressure rated for that kind of thing. I don't personally care about head retention but it's definitely part of the sensory experience for the customer, so it's something I'd like to perfect. Ideas?

Are you sure you are testing in very clean glassware?

Comment

Foam positive proteins are a finite resource, are you seeing any excessive foaming at transfers, filtering, packaging, etc?

Comment

I would look to my entire cleaning/sanitizing regime. If you pour a beer from the zwickel are you getting good retention? If so, at what point in the process does retention start to fade?

Comment

I usually include around 5% dextrine malt (Carapils) in my grain bill to promote head retention, and so far our brews have a head that just won't quit. Also contributes a slight amount of desirable body.
          Karen Belfry

Comment

As was said take a look at every step in your process post fermentation and see if there is a place where the beer foams up. You get one shot at head. If you foam up prior to glass you will have nothing left for the glass. First place I would look is.... What procedure are you using to carbonate your beer? That and filtration are areas that are usual suspects. Cheers.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I appreciate it everyone, I think I found my culprit. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex@WolfHills View Post
                I appreciate it everyone, I think I found my culprit. Cheers!
                Don't leave us hanging... What was it?

Comment

Our keg washer is not rinsing as well as it should. We get great head off our tanks and out of our cans, our kegs have been hit or miss. It's a DIY washer before my time here, looks like its time to overhaul.

Comment

glad you got it figured out

Comment

Working...
                    X