Selling Old Beer to Distillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Old Beer to Distillery

I'm currently in talks with a few distilleries about selling them some out-of-date brews to distill and make a "collaboration" project. Has anyone done something similar to this, and how much did you charge? I'm fine with selling things at cost, but if I can sell it closer to our normal wholesale price, that would be preferable.

Originally posted by Alex@WolfHills View Post
    I'm currently in talks with a few distilleries about selling them some out-of-date brews to distill and make a "collaboration" project. Has anyone done something similar to this, and how much did you charge? I'm fine with selling things at cost, but if I can sell it closer to our normal wholesale price, that would be preferable.
    I have salvaged old beer from breweries to divert to vinegar and distillery operations. In both, they are looking at alcohol content of your waste stream as part of their raw material. In vinegar, a 5-6 %abv beer will make a regular strength "gourmet" 5-6% bieressig; higher alcohol must be diluted, low alcohol beer can be used as the dilution for high alcohol beer. In distillation, the higher the abv the better because they are stripping only the alcohol. Beer can be used to top off a distillation run of high alcohol mash, but there is not much justification for running a straight low alcohol beer distillation because the amount of energy used to get a smaller amount of distillate - at least for a small distill plant.

But, if you want to burn the gas, bierschnapps can be interesting.
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Working...
    X