Old concrete floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old concrete floor

Was wondering if anyone out there has any experience cutting into old concrete before I call a concrete guy or engineer. It's about seventy years old and has no plumbing in the slab. I think I've thought through most of the pros/cons of dig down vs new slab over old. Would like to preserve as much ceiling height as possible.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks,

Craig.

Cutting out old concrete to save head space is ideal. A lot of people I have seen cut out areas. And or cut out all the slab but 2-3 feet around the perimeter. Then slope 1/4 inch a foot to new drains. I have tons of contacts if you need them. Hope this helps.

Cheers!!
    Chris Klein
    541-510-1080
    Chris Klein
    Cell 541-510-1080
    Office (503) 769-6823
    WWW.CASCADEFLOORS.COM
    chris@cascadefloors.com

Comment

Craig,
      The big deal is how thick the slab is. If you are lucky it is 4" or less. We cut and removed an 80' x 1' strip across our brewery for drainage. It was no problem but could have been had the slab been thicker. You just don't know until you cut or core it to find out.
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I work in a place where they kept most of the original slab when they built out the space, just cutting out a two-foot strip down the middle to run a trench drain with a pretty thin sloped strip of concrete on either side. Can't comment on whether it's better to go overtop the old slab or just tear the sucker out, but if you've got the budget, I'd heartily recommend against this kinda neither-one-nor-the-other approach, unless you've got an unhealthy affinity for your squeegee – stuff spilled on the remaining flat areas of original slab will run under tanks, under pallets, along the walls... pretty much everywhere except down towards the central drain where you want it.

Comment

I think before making the decision, you should see what your tank anchoring requirements will be. This will dictate how thick or thin of a slab you can get away with. Sloped floors would be nice, so if you're going to tear it out then get that done. If you have the budget, tear it out and re-do it the way you want, if budget is an issue, then I say only cut what is needed for drainage or footings for tanks.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll need to literally do some more digging to try to figure out the slab thickness and then get a concrete contractor and plumber out there and get their opinion. I figure I can add eight to ten inches to the existing slab to accommodate drainage/sloping and retain enough ceiling height in the brewing area.

I also need to find out the minimum capping thickness required for bonding/adhesion to the current floor in case I can get away with some digging and capping.

Thanks again,
            Craig.

Comment

Working...
            X