Sharing brewery space - licensing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing brewery space - licensing questions

How would it work if more than one brewery was sharing the same space/equipment? Let's say hypothetically 2 brewers splitting time on the same brew setup, same packaging line, etc. Does each brewer submit their own sets of paperwork to TTB/local authorities, same brewery drawings, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Y'all planning on sharing for ever? If not, you might think about more of a contract brewing arrangement, where the brewery that's planning to keep the space/equipment longest is the one on all the licenses and applications. Should be easier/cheaper when it comes to getting a lawyer to put it in writing, just because it's a more common kind of arrangement. Perhaps the "gypsy brewer" in this scenario makes a loan to the other brewer to help with startup costs, with an agreement in place to be paid back in contract brewing services rather than cash?

Comment

Originally posted by feinbera View Post
      Y'all planning on sharing for ever? If not, you might think about more of a contract brewing arrangement, where the brewery that's planning to keep the space/equipment longest is the one on all the licenses and applications. Should be easier/cheaper when it comes to getting a lawyer to put it in writing, just because it's a more common kind of arrangement. Perhaps the "gypsy brewer" in this scenario makes a loan to the other brewer to help with startup costs, with an agreement in place to be paid back in contract brewing services rather than cash?
      Following onto this train of thought.....

If let's say one of the parties was going to actually the equipment and the secondary party is essentially paying more on a leased/contract basis back to the guy that owns the stuff how does the licensing work in that case? If it's basically a contract to use the hardware, less so a contract to have the owner do the physical brewing, would it be an Alternating Proprietorship Agreement that would be used?

Right now I'm at the stage of trying to figure out all the funky licensing things this might entail, how it actually gets setup and trying to write a business plan that ties together all the crazy ideas in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by RichFellows View Post
        How would it work if more than one brewery was sharing the same space/equipment? Let's say hypothetically 2 brewers splitting time on the same brew setup, same packaging line, etc. Does each brewer submit their own sets of paperwork to TTB/local authorities, same brewery drawings, etc?

Thanks in advance!
        What you're describing sounds like an Alternating Proprietorship to me. It's kind of a weird relationship; the way I understand it is that, for the purposes of licensing, the "ownership" transfers between the brewers when each one is doing their thing. And, oddly, it can be the exact same people doing the brewing for all of the AP partners. You'll probably want to consult with an attorney experienced in such things, but you can find out a lot by googling "Alternating Proprietorship" or go to the horse's mouth, so to speak:

Regards,
        Mike Sharp

Comment

Originally posted by rdcpro View Post
          What you're describing sounds like an Alternating Proprietorship to me. It's kind of a weird relationship; the way I understand it is that, for the purposes of licensing, the "ownership" transfers between the brewers when each one is doing their thing. And, oddly, it can be the exact same people doing the brewing for all of the AP partners. You'll probably want to consult with an attorney experienced in such things, but you can find out a lot by googling "Alternating Proprietorship" or go to the horse's mouth, so to speak:

Regards,
          Mike Sharp
          Great, thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X