Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help getting a brewery set up and running.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done a handful of start-ups now and I'm working on a small start up right now. I would be more then happy to share what I've learned up to this point. Tap Rooms are great. I did one job that was distribution focused and it was just allot harder and less rewarding in the end. I can help setting up basic finical sheets for operating and cogs in excel if you want some help there too. I like prefer to run everything in a basic proforma format to keep things in check. The last project I worked on the entire thing was done for less then 150k but it didn't serve food. 500k is a boat load of money for a taproom.

bill@newbuffalobrewing.com

Comment

Help getting a brewery set up and running.

Is $500 k to much for a 7bbl start up with 6 fermenter, 2 brites and a 1500 sq ft taproom? This include 6 months operating capital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by NautiDog; 02-22-2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind as you said you're opening in a smaller community - you will probably have to do more work to keep your inspectors happy. As they've probably never had to approve a brewery before they likely be very strict and ask you a million questions that you will need to answer to their satisfaction.

Make sure you've done your research as to what other similar sized breweries are doing, and why. The more you can explain to an inspector why a brewery does something the easier it is to get approved. Otherwise you may be having to jump through a lot more hoops.

Cheers
        Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
          One thing to keep in mind as you said you're opening in a smaller community - you will probably have to do more work to keep your inspectors happy. As they've probably never had to approve a brewery before they likely be very strict and ask you a million questions that you will need to answer to their satisfaction.

Make sure you've done your research as to what other similar sized breweries are doing, and why. The more you can explain to an inspector why a brewery does something the easier it is to get approved. Otherwise you may be having to jump through a lot more hoops.

Cheers
          When you say "inspectors", do you mean electrical/gas/plumbing, or actual food and beverage, or both?? It's interesting up here, no one really watches over the brewing process (well, other than the customer). You do need a "health inspection" around here, but I don't think they even know that "tri-clover" means. All they worry about is your washable walls and proper drain and sewer.

-J.
          Jeremy Reed
          Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
          The North of 48 Brewing Company
          Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Originally posted by NautiDog View Post
            Is $500 k to much for a 7bbl start up with 6 fermenter, 2 brites and a 1500 sq ft taproom? This include 6 months operating capital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I'd love to hear from those that have done it, but I'd say, based on my business plan and costing, that $500KUSD is plenty. My plan was for 200-250KCDN for a 10BBL system (depending on how fancy I want the gear) and 50-100K for the build-out of the taproom with a fair bit of it done ourselves.

-J.
            Jeremy Reed
            Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
            The North of 48 Brewing Company
            Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Jer,

Depends a lot on your neck of the woods. I've had lovely issues in the past with all sorts of inspectors. Electrical and building caused a fair number of problems - we ended up having to redraw some of the plans and change the layout of the brewery thanks to the fire marshal.

In terms of health inspectors I've had it both ways. I've had some insisting that I use specific sanitizers because they didn't know what PAA was, I've also had some just ask very basic questions and walk away.
              Course here in the US the FDA/USDA can come walking in any time for an inspection - and they ask very different questions than the local guys.
              Manuel

Comment

Working...
              X